Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Deer Ever!! >

First Deer Ever!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Deer Ever!!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default First Deer Ever!!

I began hunting in November 2006 after my then 7 year old son asked if we could hunt. I figured with a couple seasons under my belt I could begin to mentor him. He recently passed his hunter safety course and now has a Vermont hunting license. I have hunted rifle and muzzleloader season the past two years but I decided to take up bow hunting last year. I enjoy hunting with a bow the most.

On October 18th I arrived at my ground blind at 4:30 PM. It is essentially an old downed tree with some brush piled up against it. Within 4 minutes of arriving I heard yet another squirrel crunching in the leaves behind me. When I turned to confirm my suspicions, I was wrong. A doe stood 40 yds. downwind staring right at me. She looped upwind to the deer trail that I was set up on and paced back and forth through my two shooting lanes at 20 yds. On the third pass I bleated and shot hitting her right behind the left shoulder. The arrow broke through a rib significantly decreasing the penetration and fell out of the deer about 10 yds. into her sprint. I called my wife and had her drop my son off so that he could help me track and field dress the deer. He spotted her laying on the ground before I did! she ran about 80 yds. and piled up after spraying a great blood trail. Took out the Left lung. I am very proud to have taken my first whitetail with a bow (at age 47!)

My son helped me field dress the deer with great interest and wonder. He is now very pumped for our youth hunting weekend in November!!

Thanks for reading my long winded post! Good luck to you all this season!!

PSE Thunderbolt (circa 2001) 60#
Wasp Jackhammer mechanical 100 gr.
HHA single pin adjustable sight

Old 10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First Deer Ever!!

Green Mountain, your post is fantastic. The experiences/emotions that led you to hunt speak volumes....awesome. Getting your son involved is another +1000!

Brett
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

awesome man, congrats! Its cool you got to share it with your wife and son
Old 10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I agree, well done and CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats. nice job
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! One on getting your first deer but also on involving your son. It is times like those that he will always remember and you won't either. I killed my first 27 yrs ago and have never forgotten it.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awesome man!

congradulations!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your first! The neatest thing about your first deer is, you may shoot bigger deer, but none will hold the place that first one does in your heart!

GH

Quick Reply: First Deer Ever!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.