Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what week to bowhunt kansas? >

what week to bowhunt kansas?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what week to bowhunt kansas?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 AM

Default what week to bowhunt kansas?

My dad, brother, and I will be heading to northeast Kansas in November to bowhunt whitetails. We have the option of hunting the first week of Nov., (1-8), or the second week, (8-15). Which week would we have a better chance of seeing some bucks? Which would have more deer movement and better overall hunting? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you [/align]
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Default RE: what week to bowhunt kansas?

Well man I will put it like this. Last year and the 4 years before we have always gone during rifle season so post rut. The deer are moving great on my dads property. Me and my dad make the trip from Texas to Kansas for 1 week every year but hardly ever stay the whole time. Last year dad shot a 140 class with his rifle and I used my bow for my first bow deer and bow buck 119 is what it scored before that I used a rifle. I want to go during the rut one year but its hard to get my dad to put down his rifle for a bow so its unlikely to happen. So I just hunt post rut with a bow. Last year we saw 4 bucks 120 plus and 3 1 1/2 year old bucks and about a million does. So man I will say this this time of year just be ready and go.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Spike

Honestly I would bet the 8-15th would be better, but you never know. The rut should be kickin by then, but maybe look at what the weather may be doing during those times because that can also play a role. I would go with the 8-15th though. I seen more giants around that time last year than ever before. I hunt around bonner springs, where are you going to be headed to?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer and Deer Hunting mentioned that the 10-16th is going to be THEE week this year.

Course it usually is.

I'll be in IL that very week.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

I am not sure what part of Kansas you are going or if it makes a difference, but the Panhandle of Texas, where I am, is more like Kansas (we are about 120 miles south of the border of Kansas) as opposed to the rest ofTexas whichmost people think of when referring to Texas.

IF there is any correlation between our area and Kansas, I would go the later of the two weeks. Our rut usually doesn't kick in until a few days either side of the 18th of November and lasts to around the 7th of December.

But hey, when it comes down to it, any week is a good week to hunt in Kansas. Good Luck
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have Nov 10th - 14th scheduled off this year! With the weekends added in, that gives me Nov 8th - Nov 16th in stand.... ALL DAY!!! Can't wait. Either week should be good though. Make sure to post pics and good luck with whatever you decide!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't go with the first weekend. That is opening weekend of pheasant season here and you will have to deal with all the pheasant hunters.......me included.......
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jackflap

I am not sure what part of Kansas you are going or if it makes a difference, but the Panhandle of Texas, where I am, is more like Kansas (we are about 120 miles south of the border of Kansas) as opposed to the rest ofTexas whichmost people think of when referring to Texas.

IF there is any correlation between our area and Kansas, I would go the later of the two weeks. Our rut usually doesn't kick in until a few days either side of the 18th of November and lasts to around the 7th of December.

But hey, when it comes down to it, any week is a good week to hunt in Kansas. Good Luck
Yeh Im thinkin that the rut starts a little bit sooner here up in northeast kansas but im not a 100% positive.

Hey Jackflap what do you primarily hunt? Im headed out to southwest kansas and didn't know if the rut for Mule deer is any different, Im hopin to arrow one and was hopin that they would be on the move.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Yeh Im thinkin that the rut starts a little bit sooner here up in northeast kansas but im not a 100% positive.

Hey Jackflap what do you primarily hunt? Im headed out to southwest kansas and didn't know if the rut for Mule deer is any different, Im hopin to arrow one and was hopin that they would be on the move.
Northeast Kansas? I would bet you are right in that it would start earlier than ours. Southwest Kansas? I still think it would be similar to ours but heck I've never hunted up there soI am just guessing because our climate, topography, etc are basically the same, very similar for sure.

I hunt Whitetail more than Mule Deer as Mule Deer season is much shorter than that of Whitetail and while I have access to some Mule Deer areas, not nearly as much as what I have for Whitetail.

As far as Mule Deer, in our area their rut suprisingly doesn't start until early to mid January (after our season). The same for New Mexico. Again, I would assume SW Kansas would be similar, but not 100% sure.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

we're gonna split your weeks this year. We are headed out on the 3rd to begin hunting on the 4th. we've got until the 13th to get it done. I've always went out the last few days of Oct in the past and the 2nd of nov has been the longest we've had to hunt. BUT, my buddies always start seeing the BIG boys after I leave!! I decided to wait a week before going this year to try and get in on the 150+ action. We'll see how the plan works.

Quick Reply: what week to bowhunt kansas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.