Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GPS Question

Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default GPS Question

I'm having trouble with the search function and didn't see anything posted in the tech forum, so here it is...

I was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a solid handheld gps. I'm not looking for anything too crazy, just enough to get in, get out, save some good locations, etc.

Any recommendations/advice? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:04 PM

Default RE: GPS Question

Garmin E-trex...
Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Really, they all pretty much work as advertised. You get what you pay for... ALMOST. The fault I find with most of them is that their topo maps could be a whole lot better. That said, they'll all get you in and out and mark locations. Extra bucks get you extra functions.The cheapest ones are just not good enough for me. I'd stick with one of the major manufacturers if I was buying one. I like Garmin. The Etrex Legend will do for just about anyone. If you want to step up a little and have a radio too go with the Rhino. Where GPS's differ is in the add on software and memory. I changed from a Legend to a Rhino when my brother and I bought each other one last Christmas. There are better, but this suits us just fine. The topo maps are better than with the Legend in that the memory allows for a whole lot more download to the GPS. You can check prices at all the major retailers and online. The Rhino will generally run about $100 more than the Legend. I like the radio features of the Rhino. If I key my radio my location is updated on my brothers GPS. He can poll me and go to my location at anytime. They all have a problem with heavy canopy and will loose signal. Usually they'll pick it up and connect the dots, but you do have to be aware of finding a hole in the forest from time to time. They all come with a built in "base map". The topo software is extra. The base map is just that, VERY basic and without many features. The topo software adds roads, stream names, towns, places .... all sorts of things. Memory differences also determine the amount of topo software you can download, waypoints you can add, tracts etc etc etc. They all work, buy the best you can afford. I wouldn't start at anything less than the EtrexLegend.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

An H series etrex. If you buy a topo program for your computer that's compatible with it you'll have a great tool. I have an older etrex and states from National Geographic. They work together and I can build way points and put them on the gps or take them form the gps and see how they lined up with the terrain giving me a better understanding on how to use maps.

Printing them off isn't like buying them but very workable.

3 states I have were 79 bucks. The gps can be picked up for 100. Can't beat that!

I also have aMagellan that displays maps, it's useful. It's a 200 model and is better than the etrex for the same money but it's not hooked with the computer and I've heard nothing good and plenty bad about their customer service. Very easy to use, much faster than the non"H" series etrex and is much better at letting you label things. Toucan even add notes. I got about 6 characters total with the etrex and I've never used all the Magellan's so I don't know.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a basic Etrex with the High sensitivity receiver. It does the job with no frills. If I am roaming the woods and need to mark a spot, it does. Sometimes you have to get creative with naming points, and I’m probably going to make myself a key on an index card better describing each spot. I kind of just use mine as a “safety net” I’d rather rely on a compass & my memory to get where I need to go, but when in unknown territory, it really helps to see where you went in relation to everything.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Me and my buddies have the Garmin Rhino with Mapsource. We bought 'em for an elk trip 3 yrs ago. They are invaluable imo.I've got the older 120 model, they've since come out with newer updated models with more memory and color screens but the price tag went way up too. Check ebay, you can find some good deals there.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

i really like my garmin etrex legen, just remember when your navigating to a waypoint that you have to be moving ...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Garmins are great, but you want to stick with an H series. The new receivers are much better under the forest canopy than the older models. Even the most basic unit will get you in and out without issue. You can get something like the eTrex Venture HC at Offroute.com for about $135. A great deal and a nice unit.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the good info.

I just got started last year and got my first (2)harvests this season. And, of course, now I'm absolutely hooked. The problem is, the private land I hunt is relatively small and other land in the area is very difficult to gain access to. So, I was thinking about accessing some the public land in the area to get into some bigger woods and was thinking one of these would be invaluable as far as scouting, marking points, and of course navigation as I plan on getting in pretty deep.

I'll look at all the units and features you guys mentioned. Thanks again.