Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Having a tough time about tonight...thoughts? >

Having a tough time about tonight...thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having a tough time about tonight...thoughts?

Old 10-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Having a tough time about tonight...thoughts?

Ok, we're getting into some great weather here in PA (low 30s upper 20s at night, and low 50s during the day). Tonight, we should have a SSW/SW wind (light 5mph) which means I can sit two spots I haven't been for a little while. I really can't make up my mind, though, so I'm wanting some opinions. Here's a map of both locations. They're marked number 1 and 2 with the green dots. Ignore the other stand site markers.

The stand site number 2 in the northwest corner of the food plot is one choice. This is a clover (which probably is all about done now that we had two frosts back to back nights) with some rye and a little bit of brassica thrown in. I've seen deer in here every evening I've hunted it, but they're inconsistant to where they come out. One evening they came out East of my stand location, one night they came out South, and the other night they came out on the other end (west of my stand). I've seen NO bucks in here during the season, yet.

Stand number 1 is my new stand this year in an area where I SWEAR shows promise. The three sits this year has only yielded 10 sightings, and only one of those ten was a deer feeding through naturally (The other 9 came flying through one evening after being spooked by something). The corn is still standing there, and just feel like this inside corner in the bottom of the finger has to produce deer in here, but I'm wondering if they're already in the corn by the time I get there. However, I never hear anything moving around throughout the evening that would lead me to believe that.

So what are your thoughts here? Our acorn crop isn't as massive as it was last year either, and I'm seeing deer in the fields in the evening still, so it leads me to believe that they should be hitting one of these two food sources.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Having a tough time about tonight...thoughts?

Matt I would head up to the funnel there at the corn feild! Good luck.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan, and Tim...or anyone else for that matter. Have you guys had much success hunting STANDING corn? Everyone always talks about hunting a freshly cut corn field, but not as much about standing corn. This spot screams textbook hotspot, but yet, very little sightings or sign. There were a few scrapes in the area last year post-season, and I had trail cam photos of them entering near here, so I know it's used, but who knows.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don’t hunt standing corn too often, but when I have, I’ve had decent deer sightings. I just don’t get the opportunity too much.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, is there anyway to move #2 a little more NW?

Secondly, this year I am trying to deer hunt like one should play blackjack. EI play the cards that are deal. Meaning, if the wind says hunt a certain stand, hunt it. I it says hunt that stand twice in a row, so be it.

Matt, just curious why are you hunting #1 with the SW wind?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

I really like area #1 especially with a SSW wind.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

First, is there anyway to move #2 a little more NW?
Not by tonight, it's a ladder stand that I just moved last Sunday. A little more NW and I'm out of sight from the plot, and onto a tractor road.

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Matt, just curious why are you hunting #1 with the SW wind?
Because I never get a true S wind Seriously, though, I expect most (if not all) deer to enter the corn field to the west, and they bed (I suspect) to the SW of the stand. If one comes in behind me from the east, I suppose I will just have to have faith in my scent control.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:14 PM

Old 10-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt by standing corn and do well. If the wind is right for#1 hunt that stand.

Quick Reply: Having a tough time about tonight...thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.