Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Idiot in PA (long story) >

Idiot in PA (long story)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Idiot in PA (long story)

Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Idiot in PA (long story)

I went out this past Friday evening right after work, around 3:30ish. I belong to a hunting club that leases around 80 acres of woods that is buck only. I also have permission to hunt the farmers land that butts up against the club land. So I get out there and park on the gated club property and walk about 100 yards onto the farmers land on the corner of a corn field.

Around an hour later I hear someone ripping up the old logging road on the club land (the truck is banging and clanging and spinning tires). Not many people hunt archery that belong to the club. So I can hear the guy park and bang around getting his stuff out of his truck.

So here the guy comes right out the path and into the farmers field, and I notice he is wearing a blaze orange vest and hat.[&:]He also has a tree stand on his back, bow in one and and a muzzle-loader in the other!!![:'(]

Remember, this was Friday, and the early PA muzzle-loader season came in on Saturday! Now mind you, were this is, we were pretty close to the PA/MD state line. About 500-600 yards over the hill, and early muzzle-loader in MD came in last Wed. or Thurs.

Well he seen me, waves, and heads in the opposite direction, (toward MD) so I thought, well maybe he has permission to hunt the farmers land too, (a lot of people do) and is going to hunt his fields on the MD side. Okay, no big deal.

Well, he doesn't, I watched him walk about 150 yard up the fence line and stop, (pretty easy to see him with the blaze orange!) and there he stands the rest of the evening, no tree stand, no bow, just muzzle-loader hunting.

Well I sat there till almost dark, and start getting ready to get down, and BANG! He took a shot!! He walked up over the knoll, so I couldn't see him anymore, but he definitely wasnot into MD. Now, mind you, the early muzzle-loader season is doe only in PA, and you can't shoot does on club land, AND the muzzle-loader season wasn't even in!

So I get down, walk to my truck, pack up, and got out of there. I have never seen the guys truck before, but he must be a club member because he knew the combo. to get in the gate. I told my brother about him and we are going to let the club pres. know about it.

My guess is, he probably had a MD and PA license and was going to shoot something that evening, and being that close to the line, he was going to tag it in MD, even though he shot it in PA.

Sorry, pretty long and boring, just wanted to vent about ANOTHER PA hunter acting like an Idiot!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Idiot in PA (long story)

Why didn't you call the DNR, or Fish and Game, or whatever you have over there?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

It would have been my word over his, and, like I said, since we are so close to MD, if he had his MD tags he would have just said he was hunting MD with the muzzle-loader. I guess he could have gotten in trouble for carrying a firearm in PA, but the thought never entered my mind.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah he would have went to jail if it was my place.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think MD ML season opened till 10/18 but I am not 100%
Old 10-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mikeshunk

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

It would have been my word over his, and, like I said, since we are so close to MD, if he had his MD tags he would have just said he was hunting MD with the muzzle-loader. I guess he could have gotten in trouble for carrying a firearm in PA, but the thought never entered my mind.
You just became part of the problem. Shame on you.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

MD early muzzleloader was 10/16-18, so he was playing both games...

I'd be pissed if I were you too...
Old 10-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honestly why are we so afraid to get involved.Don't most of you have cell phones?
Turn these bums in.[:@]
When I bought my land poaching was rampant.
One clan, two broken families got married.Well one had three sons the other two, no guidance from any of the adults.
They'd party, and when they did they'd just shoot a deer and cooked it. Most of the deer came from on or near my land. After the first year we talked, it did a little good not much, but some. The next year, after I heard the first shot in the dark I drove to their house and told the parents that after this time "I'm turning you in". Quit poaching or go to jail. And I went home.
Every year after that they stop at my house ,they ask for permission to hunt. We are great friends now. Its was just that they never even thought any one cared.
If you are not stopping them you are part of the problem.[:'(]
Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I would of called that in. Being that he was in PA and used a Maryland tag now makes that a Federal Offense Felony Offense. I would of called it in, and its never to late to do so. Givea descriptionof the truck, and show them where the gut pile may be. From there, let them do the work. By turning your head, you permit these SLOBS to continue there poor sportsmans behavior. Hopefully they have no younger hunters to pass on this disease.

Make the call
Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree it should have been called in.

Sometimes we have to police our own. If we won't then who?

Quick Reply: Idiot in PA (long story)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.