Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I sure as heck cant tell. >

I sure as heck cant tell.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I sure as heck cant tell.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I sure as heck cant tell.

This happened to me sat. night I had a deer step out and I couldnt tell if it was a big one, I had it in range and in a shooting lane, however I passed on the shot, either I havent seen enough deer to know, or I just cant tell straight up cannot do it. How do you tell if its a big deer or not??? I thought she was a fawn but then a few seconds later, her fawn stepped out..... And I diddnt have any shot at either deer.

Anyone got any tips or can suggest something I just diddnt want to waste my tag for the 3rd year in a row by shooting a small deer. I did it in maryland too.

I need help on this one real bad.

Ryan.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I sure as heck cant tell.

Look at the head, fawns have short snouts, doe have longer ones and if you see one like Matt / PA shot this past weekend, it'll look like a horse with a white tail. LOL
Old 10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow 35 views and no replies..... Sounds like Im screwed.

Ryan.

Edit: Naturally as soon as I try to bump it I get a reply lol
Old 10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

You need to remember, views could be non members (guests).
Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

if all you see is a silhouette, know some relative sizes to objects on the ground....but when in doubt, if it is THAT dark...pass it up, or use a set of optics with a large objective (42mm+)
Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Fawns are "boxy". Short bodies and short snouts (like Rob mentioned).

Around here.....they're also still a shade more "brown" than their older counterparts (witht he exception being the BB's about this time of year. Can't exlain it....but they get the same coats as the older deer do (which CAN BE unnerving).

Best advice I could give is......glass 'em really good.....and don't take a chance if you're not sure. I'd say you did the right thing.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the head, fawns have short snouts, doe have longer ones
Rob said It perfect Ryan. A fawns head and nose generally looks short and a tad blocky.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

See she was in my 30 yard lane, which I'm comfortable with, that wasnt a factor, it was approaching not dark but not light either time, and It was a guessing game at that point, I see almost all my deer at that time so Its always been a stab in the dark really. I cant describe it to you when I see deer, I try to always decide "is it mature" ohh wait no wait yeah no yeah no yeah aww heck! I'm not shooting it and I prolly have let huge does walk by and then the end of the season draws near, and I'm stuck deerless.

Ryan.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

At 30 yards and loosing light It's going to be tough no matter what when figuring out what they are.

Yesterday evening 5 minutes before dark I rattled In a 115" to 120" buck at my buddy's spot on public land. He was at 15 yards when he came In and at 1st I thought he was a half rack until he turned his head. I was wrong, he was a decent 8 point but the darkness approaching made It tough to tell. I didn't shoot being he wasn't what I wanted but the point I'm trying to make Is the darker It Is the tougher It Is to judge any deer on what It Is.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I understand that but I cant even do it in the daylight haha!! But for sure I'll start looking at their muzzles.

Ryan.

Quick Reply: I sure as heck cant tell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.