Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 poor penetration >

poor penetration

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

poor penetration

Old 10-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: poor penetration

An overdraw is NOT the way to go for your problem. I would advise you not to mess with your anchor point either. Three deer is not a whole lot of data to determine there actually is a problem. If you hit bone, that could be the problem. A pass through is nice but not needed to recover a deer, shot selection is much more important. Just make sure you are using the best razor sharp strong broad heads and the right arrow.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, but I think my bow is tuned pretty well, at the very least all arrows sticking out of my target are straight on, not cocked to either side. And I have spent some time at the pro shop trying different weights and such, no chrono, but I did shoot a bunch of different weights with a fellow that knows alot more than I standing behind me and I listened to his suggestions. Maybe I should try another shop?
GMMAT, I hear you but don't think that is the problem, I found the fletch end of the arrow from this last deer and it was clean, broken off mid length from brush but no blood or any other indicators on it, completely clean. I was surprised to find an exit wound on this doe and no arrow in the body, I think it actually worked its way thru the other side from her running and squirming! I watched the shot in good light at 10yrds, there is no way the arrow penetrated that much on the shot.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

I would run it through paper before the chrony - if you are not shooting bullet holes that will be a huge factor in penetration.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Shoot some bare shaft arrows out of your bow. Look to see if they're still straight. Also, do your field points and broadheads group together? Those are two quick and easy ways to see if something might be wrong with your arrow flight.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish you guys were all closer! I'd love to do one of the get-togethers and learn a bunch from you all!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I was surprised to find an exit wound on this doe and no arrow in the body, I think it actually worked its way thru the other side from her running and squirming!
So you think it worked its way through....other than backed out?

I highly doubt that's the case.....but if that's what you believe......

Do you realize how fast it would back out? Think about how long your arrow is....and how "deep" a doe's body is. It's not surprising you wouldn't have blood on your fletchings if they never entered her body.

I'm just giving you my impression of whats been described. Punching through and backing out is MUCH more plausible to me than partial penetration, initially, and then working through.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

What we sometimes think is poor penetration ......due to only seeing a portion of our arrow in the animal as they flee is......actually the arrow having backed back out to that position after hitting something inside.
Exactly my response.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now I'm becoming skeptical about what happened because I really respect the opinions of some of some (alot) of ppl here, but on the other hand I was there. Light was fading but it was only a 10yrd shot, I watched it happen. Also, the exit wound I found doesn't line up at all with the entrance wound, it should have been low front, but instead was as far back as the entrance wound.
The 1/2 arrow I recovered was spotless, I'm positive that it didn't enter and exit, it was like new!
Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

If you have an exit hole on the other side of the ribcage, it's doubtful the arrow backed out. Rather, the arrow just stuck out a bit on the other side and the fletch end broke off and the broadhead end pulled through the offside. This is indeed a sign that you are getting poor penetration if you're shooting over 55lbs.

Arrows will back up, this is usually when you hit the offside shoulder or leg.(as mentioned above) It does happen fast enough that you can't really see it. However, if you looked at the inside of the ribcage and the offside shoulder you'd see evidence of the arrow hitting there. (if you process your own deer)

Seriously, bare shaft shoot your bow and shoot it through paper. Those things aren't up to conjecture.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a heavier arrow, is your bow tuned?
Your draw is short for your height lol. I'm the opposite, I have monkey arms.

Quick Reply: poor penetration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.