HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What to do in stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/268693-what-do-stand.html)

Bowtech 360 10-18-2008 01:04 PM

What to do in stand?

Think it word hurt to listen to music in the stand? If so how low would you have to play it so the deer wouldnt hear it?

SouthernMDArchers 10-18-2008 01:07 PM

RE: What to do in stand?

Hmm not sure. Try to find the song that goes with the opening credits in Disneys Bambi? Let me know how that turns out for ya)))) j/k

Dave

8pt~Bowhunter 10-18-2008 01:09 PM

I look for deer when I'm hunting...

Pope94/IA 10-18-2008 01:15 PM

the best way to play music without deer hearing is withheadphones or earphones. I keep busy with texting my friends that are hunting also. :D.
If you have kids, then take there gameboys or what ever they have from them and play that.

Volume wise for volume I wouldn't know exacualy but a good way to test it while in your stand is take your headphones off then turn the volume all the way up and cover the ear part with your palm or something (acting as a ear because it does differ from having something there and not). Just turn it down till you can't hear it anymore or till you think the deer wont hear it.

Bowtech 360 10-18-2008 01:17 PM

I have somebody to text <3, ha, that should work.

MNpurple 10-18-2008 01:28 PM

How you gonna hear a deer coming towards you or rustling leaves if you have music in your ear?

Rory/MO 10-18-2008 01:39 PM

Why not just take in all of the surroundings?

bigtim6656 10-18-2008 01:44 PM

get a ipod then why worry my dad's can be like all the way up before you can hear it sitting right next to him

sngehl01 10-18-2008 01:50 PM

I read a book, or cabelas/BPS magazines. I'll even take manufacturers magazines with me to learn about new products/technology. I look up and around extremely often, and I can still hear things coming.

I don't go hunting just to kill deer though. I enjoy being in the woods, but I have a very short attention span. If I get to shoot a deer that's a bonus. I enjoy shooting my bow and guns with my friends just for the camaraderie.

I don't believe the books/magazines hurt my chances of taking a deer either. I'll see plenty of them, and I'm able to shoot as many as wish.

Sometimes I just sit and enjoy looking at the surroundings too just for the quiet and time to think.

Good luck finding something to help you pass the time.

pwrsrtk350 10-18-2008 02:20 PM

I have an mp3 player I took with me to the stand once. I have the earphones that stick in your ear, but I only put one in so I had the other ear open to listen for foot steps. I had the volume as low as I could get it without it being off.

Drizzu213 10-18-2008 02:36 PM

hunt?????

Bowtech 360 10-18-2008 02:37 PM

Well,Im in my stand right now and seen my first deer this year within 30 mins in the stand, right a 4:06. Well its walking right into my shooting lane when I get a call. Forgot to put my phone on silent.....GRRRRRRR Guess the deer dont like to party till da AM?[:@][:@]So pissed, think im going to callingit quits.

BUCKMARK 10-18-2008 02:54 PM

I can see having the music on if you can hardly hear it, so you can still hear what's going on around you. But playing a game or texting...how do youstay focused to what you are there for. Hard to hold a bow and phone or gameboy. At least it is for me. I don't multytask very well, just ask the wife...

Huntinman23 10-18-2008 04:32 PM

i usually sit still and look for deer but when i get really bored i have tetris on my phone so i play that every once and a while
[align=left] [/align]

WV Hunter 10-18-2008 04:57 PM

Call me old fashioned I guess...I hunt when I'm in my stand. If I wanted to listen to music, read, or play games I'd stay home. I rarely everget bored, I just love being out there.

SteveBNy 10-18-2008 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Call me old fashioned I guess...I hunt when I'm in my stand. If I wanted to listen to music, read, or play games I'd stay home. I rarely everget bored, I just love being out there.
X2
Saved me typing it - I hunt to hunt.

Steve

sngehl01 10-18-2008 07:41 PM

Call me old fashioned I guess...I hunt when I'm in my stand. If I wanted to listen to music, read, or play games I'd stay home. I rarely ever get bored, I just love being out there.

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

me too, some would say I go out there to read, but I take a gun with me just incase, lol. What can I say, venison is sooooo tasty

GMMAT 10-18-2008 07:52 PM

If I detect 100 deer, here.....I'll HEAR 85 of them before I see them.

I even hate the fact that I have a mask over my ears......but it's needed. I wouldn't listen to music and hunt.....unless I didn't care too much about hunting (care about scoring).

pwrsrtk350 10-18-2008 07:58 PM

Yea like I said I did it once. I didnt like it one bit. I still felt a bit distracted and never bothered trying it again.

MN/Kyle 10-18-2008 08:04 PM

I'll text on occasion, when I first get out there.

Otherwise, I hunt. And solve the worlds problems in my head. lol

early in 10-18-2008 08:13 PM

I find myself looking for deer most of the time while on stand.;) I often see beautiful things that I wouldn't see if preoccupied by books/games ect. Here's an example from yesterday.

Michbowhunter 10-20-2008 11:11 PM

I really enjoy being in the outdoors, and listening to all the sounds that come with it. Having said that, it's certainly possible to listen to music or watch a movie on an ipod without spooking deer. Just use headphones, and keep an eye out! I'm always scanning my surroundings, andI would say 9 out of 10 times, I see the deer before I hear them.

OKbowhunter20 10-20-2008 11:25 PM

Like alot of guys, I like taking in the surrondings and enjoying the hunt.

But I'll be honest, some afternoon hunts can get boring. Especially if it is warm and mid-day time. I text my friends and play a couple games on my phone at times. But on a windy day, when I can't hear that well anyways, I'll listen to music. I don't do it often, but sometimes I like to have some tunes. I have had deer come by and pass in front of me without noticing I have headphones in:D[&:]. Whether that is a good thing or not, who knows.

Have no fear BT360....jam out[8D]

bhunter50 10-21-2008 12:07 AM

Agreed. I have a Scentlok facemask and hat combo that I love and is great for early and late season because it is fairly warm....I would recommend it! I won't even wear a hood or stocking cap unless it is absolutely brutal out. I love to be able to hear the deer before they get to close!

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If I detect 100 deer, here.....I'll HEAR 85 of them before I see them.

I even hate the fact that I have a mask over my ears......but it's needed. I wouldn't listen to music and hunt.....unless I didn't care too much about hunting (care about scoring).

Spearchucker 10-21-2008 12:18 AM

Well I watch for deer when I'm hunting, listen to and watch my surroundings, and Think about life. I have never listened to music or watched a movie on an Ipod...God why not just stay home on the couch?

I have read the odd hunting article on a long or all day sit, but that's about it.

2 Lunger 10-21-2008 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Well,Im in my stand right now and seen my first deer this year within 30 mins in the stand, right a 4:06. Well its walking right into my shooting lane when I get a call. Forgot to put my phone on silent.....GRRRRRRR Guess the deer dont like to party till da AM?[:@][:@]So pissed, think im going to callingit quits.
Texting, listening to music and making posts on HNI from your treestand? What has this hunting world gone to? I thought the reason most of us hunted was to get away from this stuff and enjoy nature and relax. Guess I might as well take my lap top and do some TPMreports! Boy, oh boy, I find this sad![:@]

Centaur 1 10-21-2008 04:07 AM

Sodoku or Yatzee.

MdDave 10-21-2008 04:08 AM

if i listened to music on stand every deer in the county would know im there... id be jus a singin along, doin a lil dance on stand..... lol... it would be pretty funny for the other guy who walked up on me... lol....

centurion 10-21-2008 05:14 AM

Your kiddin right????? The sound of nature is music to my ears, that and silence, i think i look forward to that more than anything....

rybohunter 10-21-2008 05:31 AM

I will admit to sending texts from time to time on stand, but I can't even imagine reading, playing games,or listening to music. No texts 1st or last hour though.

mobuckhunter79 10-21-2008 05:50 AM

When i go hunting i go to hunt if I needed extra activities to keep me entertained then guess i wouldnt be into hunting that much and I would stay home was always told that hunting was time to relax and enjoy the outdoors when my grandpa was showin me the ropes 20 some yearsago he would have had a fit if I would have taken headphones or something to keep me entertained guess im just old fashioned like that.

kenman 10-21-2008 06:21 AM

I have a small radio that I bring with me, with a single earpiece. I don't listen to music, but I do listen to baseball/football games while in stand in the afternoon. About an hour of daylight left, the earpiece comes off though.

TreednNC 10-21-2008 07:02 AM

Have 3 kids, twin 3y/o and a 5y/o.....you enjoy the time in the stand much more then because of the silence!

mobuckhunter79 10-21-2008 08:43 AM

i have twin 7yr olds and another 7yr old a 9yr old and a 11 yr old that all like to go and they are pretty good bout being quiet and watching nature

rbeckman 10-21-2008 09:03 AM

I'm just an old man and the last thing I need to hear is a phone or a radio. When I go out to hunt I enjoy listening to everything out in the woods.It's so peaceful, I take it all in like it is my last day on earth. My wife asked me if I thought about what she is doing at home when I am out hunting. I told her I don't think about her or what she is doing, I'm thinking what is my game plan when I see a deer. How can anyone get bored wih all the beauty that is around you while hunting.

StealthHtr22 10-21-2008 09:04 AM

Listening to music? Wow I thought hunting was entertaining enough.There's no waythey'd hear your music with headphones though, as well as no way you would hear them either.

Good Luck.

nodog 10-21-2008 02:31 PM

I've been tempted to take one of the kids mp3 players, they have no moving parts. As far as hearing them I almost always see them first.

I do pick up on other animals comunicating and the music might get in the way of that.

Whatever it takes to keep you out there.

NY/Al 10-21-2008 02:52 PM

My ears are my primary deer locators, why wouldI wanna plug em??

cooter144 10-21-2008 02:54 PM

Listen to music while deer hunting??? Are you friggen serious???

Siman08/OH 10-21-2008 03:15 PM

I used toget extremely bored when hunting, and i would read and text and stuff. Now the only thing i can do is listen. I cant have anything covering my ears or i feel like ill miss something. I always hear the deer before i see it.