Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 More Moon Dribble >

More Moon Dribble

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

More Moon Dribble

Old 10-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default More Moon Dribble

Well as usual I have too much time on my hands but can't hunt because of work so I sit around and plan my next outing.

We always see the random threads about "Moon Phases" or "Full Moon Hunting" but one aspect I almost never see mentioned is the Rise/Set times of the moon which to me is very important.

Most know we are coming off of a full moon as I 'm sure everyone has been noticing the bright nights the past week or soand lately the bright moon still up in the morning. Right now the moon is 79% full and rises tonight at 8:09 pm then sets in the morning at 10:41 a.m so except for cloud cover it isstill going to be a bright night tonightwith a few more to come.

Now fast forward a little over a week to Oct 24 or 25.

On Oct 25 we will be looking at about 18% moon, so dark nights but more importantly the moon rises at 04:01 a.m that day then sets at 4:21 p.m. So it will be out all day, directly over head around 10:30 a.m. and then set that afternoon. So there will be absolutely no light at night and hopefully a spike in daytime activity.

This trend starts aroundOct 24th andlasts through the new moon on Oct 28 and beyond that into the first week of November (i.e Nov 4 = Moon Rise: 12:15 pm / Set:10:11 pm) it then starts to head back the other way.

Hopefully these dark nights will mix with some cold weather and some deer hormones to create an "explosion" of deer activity those 12 days and after as the dark nights should cause higher levels of hormonal output from the pineal gland for both bucks and does(and we all know what that means).

I've been calling this time frame and I am sticking to my prediction unless of course it turns out to be wrong.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: More Moon Dribble

It's always an interesting subject. Thanks for sharing the info.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff! This moon is exactly why I'm hunting almost all day tomorrrow. I plan on getting in the tree around 9:30-10am tomorrow and not coming out till dark....unless something gets shot!

Oh, and I took a couple days off from work so I can hunt November 7-10. I can't wait!!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

Good stuff! This moon is exactly why I'm hunting almost all day tomorrrow. I plan on getting in the tree around 9:30-10am tomorrow and not coming out till dark....unless something gets shot!

Oh, and I took a couple days off from work so I can hunt November 7-10. I can't wait!!
The moon will be out in the morning until almost 11:00 (Rises tonight at 8:09 and sets in the am around 10:45). So hopefully they will be out feeding under the moonlight until early am and get a late start back to bedding, we will see tomorrow but I really can't wait for the end of the month.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Over the years, here in northern IL i have noticed a direct correlation between, amount of night time moonlight and daytime deer activity.

I have notice that the more moonlight, aka full moon etc, the less daytime activity, you got a full moon, stay in bed the next morning cause those buggers have been up all night running around like the own the place, and will be sleepin it off deering the day.

So I am withya on this one OP.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2droptine

Over the years, here in northern IL i have noticed a direct correlation between, amount of night time moonlight and daytime deer activity.

I have notice that the more moonlight, aka full moon etc, the less daytime activity, you got a full moon, stay in bed the next morning cause those buggers have been up all night running around like the own the place, and will be sleepin it off deering the day.

So I am withya on this one OP.
I don't know. If I "slept in" yesterday morning (coming off of Wenesday's full moon) I wouldn't have seen the 8pt (maybe 120", not sure)at 7:50AM that I almost got a shot at.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

The moon will be out in the morning until almost 11:00 (Rises tonight at 8:09 and sets in the am around 10:45). So hopefully they will be out feeding under the moonlight until early am and get a late start back to bedding, we will see tomorrow but I really can't wait for the end of the month.
I hunting at my farm which is mainly ag fields. I don't want to get there before daylight to try and get in the woods because I feel pretty confident that I'll bump them off the fields in the dark. That's why we're gonna head in after sun up and hopefully catch em cruising around lunch time for a mid day snack!