Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK wind players..... >

OK wind players.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK wind players.....

Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default OK wind players.....

Is there a threshold where you cut it off? For example.....5mph or less (forecast)?

Or....is ANY mph infavorable wind......."too much"?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK wind players.....

I can tell you one thing Jeff, I better play the wind right this morning (SSW at 4-5) because by the time I knew it this morning, I had already showered with my regular dove soap! I was on autopilot in the shower, my body ready to go to work instead of into the woods...we shall see if I put on a dove soap deer drive heading in here in a few minutes.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:19 AM
Dominant Buck

See....we're forecast for a W2, starting out....and the worst forecast is WNW at 5.

I don't have a great spot for any wind with an N in it....so I'm going to a less than highly desireable spot, this AM.

I'm just wondering at what point the die hards say...."That ittle wind won't matter".....or...if they do that, at all.

Thanks....and good luck this AM, Brett. I'm heading out....sans the dove shower (I'm using the green stuff....lol).
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel less wind is actually worse. It lets your scent pool more and doesn't disperse it near as much as a stiff breeze does. Sometimes you just gotta take your chances. Maybe the deer will show up on your good side anyways.

And it wouldn't be the first time a weather person missed the forcast!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Banned

Don't quite know what u mean, but I always hunt with the wind direction in my favor regardless of speed. Too windy of a day such as 25-30 mph winds seem to make the deer set tight most of the time...takes away their ability to hear. Better off staying home on a day like that
Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Bartender

I would rather have a constant breeze but I do have some stands that just plain swirl on me at
certain wind directions.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 AM

I'm no "Wind diehard" but I always thought wind was wind when talking about deer hunting, be it 1MPH or 10MPH. However, I don't let an unfavorable wind keep me at home. I've had success several times while deer have been downwind of me. Sometimesyou just have to trust your scent control.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

5 or 20 mph. Either one Is a "no no" In my book If It's not a good wind direction. If you keep hunting the wind like you are I think In time you won't even ask yourself this question anymore. I just get pissed when the winds bad, there's nothing more I can do about It.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll put it this way... I'm heading out this afternoon after a buck I've got on trail cam that's got a huge sticker coming off his right G2; I've always wanted a "sticker" buck. I saw exactly where he came out two nights ago, and I'll be set up there by 4 this afternoon because I've gota perfect North wind to do so.

If the wind was even blowing ONE mile per hour South this afternoon, I would NOT be hanging there. So I guess there's your answer... from at least one die-hard wind player.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’m getting real tired of this wind dictating where I hunt deal (for my own personal enjoyment). If I have a steady forecasted wind of over 7-8 mph, I’ll try to play it. But when I get these dinky little “light & variable” or 5 mph & less, I am going to hunt where I want, and think the deer will be. I’ll let my scent control take over from there. I had the “wrong” wind for my Saturday morning hunt, but that was the only area with deer sign & I hadn’t seen a thing playing the “right” winds. I went there, saw deer directly downwind, they came in and I killed one. This ain’t the first time (killing a deer down wind), and it won’t be the last.

Quick Reply: OK wind players.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.