Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses. >

Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:02 PM

Default Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Not trying to ruffle feathers, or start a raging debate....just wondering.

Would you want your friends/family to have to go through this?

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=769266

(mods, read the link before removing it)
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Default RE: Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Im going to copy and paste this guys posts so you guys can get the message over on this site as well.

This past Saturday my best friend of 38 yrs went bowhunting for his second time. I talked him in to the sport and he went and bought all new gear this year. He bought a climber and practiced with it a bunch in his yard. I helped him find a place to hunt by his house and he took the tests and got his license. I got a call this past Saturday from his girlfriend way past dark asking me to go check on him as he wasnt home or answering his phone. I was the only one who knew where he was hunting and took the 40 min. drive calling over and over the whole drive. I got to the parking area and found him dead in his truck.
He fell out of the tree,broke his neck and somehow made it to his truck before passing.

No safety harness........................................... ...........
The police come and I had to use my climber to go up and bring down his equipment.
We had him cremated this week and we too his ashes to a wonderful place and me and her let them fly in the wind..............

I love ya brother... wish it ended a little better.

I will say it again.... NO SAFETY HARNESS KILLED A WONDERFUL MAN!

BowhunterDave
[/align]
Old 10-14-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks everybody... I thought if I shared this on here I might save a life or two.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Going hunting in the morning with his bow.... His girl and his mother had me pick up his gear the other night and I have done a little tweaking and its hitting spots out to 60. I will use his bow the rest of this season and as long as it takes to get him his first few deer. I know it sounds weird but I am taking him hunting everyday anyway.
I lost it when I found him for a few but it was weird,I went kinda cold and haven't really cried since. Usually I am a baby and cry a little when nobody's looking,but I am still mad at him for not using a harness. I am mad that a stupid bit of ego took his life and crushed everyone around him. I am mad that I had to be the one who had to find him dead.

Its not dying that sucks,its the people that you leave behind that you hurt.
Hard lesson learned..

Old 10-14-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bowhunter n MD [/align]That sucks . ... But I guess you forgot to teach him the most important party of hunting "Saftey"[/align]Its the number one concern for me and I preachd it to him constantly. He was 6ft1inch and was about 235 lbs. He was a moose with a tough attitude. "I`ll be fine,this thing is too hard to shoot with it on" was the famous words I keep hearing.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:05 PM

summit open shot. same one i use. Mini platform and no rails..A must for harnesses with this stand. The stand and his gear was all in perfect cond. still up the tree. The cops took the stand after I got it down and then released the bow and backpack to family.
His cell was in the backpack
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM

Feeling the love that you all are sharing with me......... Thanks so much. I was just out putting a yellow ribbon around the tree he fell from. I am having a plaque made this week to put on the tree. I am feeling a bit down at the moment,but y`all sure help to bring somone back up!

Not sure if y`all caught what I said about the cell phone. It is just as important to keep your communication device on your body at all times as it is to wear your safety harnesses. Even if he had fallen with the phone,he could have been saved. He made it over 300 yards to his truck somhow before dying.

The phone was in his backpack up the tree.
[/align]
Old 10-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah but that could never happen to me.. If your a bowhunter sooner or later your gonna fall and there are not many happy endings!!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Thanks everybody... Sleep was minimal last night and today is back to work. You have all been great in this time of tragedy and I just wanna say thanks.... Having support in this way keeps me from sitting here alone, as I live alone and this is my world on here. Gonna be hard this morning as I always called him between 7-8 to say good morning and joke around with a few text`s. Been weird not hearing my phone ring. And was even weirder lowering my cell phone plan as I do not need the amount of minutes i used to use.

Dont take life for granted,here one second,gone the next.

Thanks for all pm`s and personal emails, everybody has been wonderful to me.

I am beaten but still standing strait
[/align]
Old 10-14-2008, 03:08 PM

To all that have responded and posted links else where....

When I told his mother of the rsponses and emails and PM`s and links and how the word of this has spread all over the world in just a few days,she just about fainted. She got dizzy and had to sit down and cry for an hour or more. I explained how many people ran out and bought harnesses or dug theirs out of storage. I explained how this loss is saving lives already today,and will continue to do so as long as people let others read about our loss. This woman has requested that she remain anonymous and for people not to bother offering things as she has enough. She just wants this story to be read to adults and children alike and let her loss be your gain. We appreciate the kindness and love that has been sent our way and please dont stop

This thread is literally on forums and websites now worldwide..... The internet is amazing at times.... Keep passing the word along to everyone you know. Print this and post it at your clubs and let every hunter know what reality is.

Heres somthing I never told y`all..... I didnt want to beleive he was dead so I carried him toward the road till the medics found us. Only made it a 100 or so yards but I was freakin out and didnt know what to do. I was afraid they would`nt see my lights and be able to find us so I had him on my back with his arms over my shoulders and drug him sorta till I seen the headlights coming. They said he had been dead for over an hour at that point so my efforts were useless but I tried. Who wants to beleive your friend is dead. I am having problems sleeping,keep waking up just freakin

Thanks for letting me share. [/align]

Quick Reply: Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.