Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8) >

Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rob's Buck on Video

Im just joining this thread after reading and seeing it all, I think the arrow went just under the spine in a viod area above the intestines and right through the backstraps. There is no way that arrow went over the spine and curved around and made that exit hole. In looking at the diagram the guts don't actually go all the way up to the spine like it shows. There is some meat in there between the guts and the spine and that is what it looks like it went through. What I can't believe is that it didn't hit the main artery running down that area of the deer. The deer is going to live, if it was infected that deer would be laying next to a rive in some thick sh$t with a fever like no other, and if it hit or even nicked some guts he would be infected by now and not thinking about food and walking around. He looks a little sore when he walks but I have seen trail came picks on this site before of people hitting deer in that area (a little up farther up twards the vitals) but they had them with there wounds on a trail came pick a couple of weeks later doing just fine.

You made the right desicion!....It would have been another story if he came by you all hunched up and struggling. He's walking around and thinking about food and he isn't infected so he will live.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I'll do it your way, Germ!

Edit**

Gary....I CAN'T (I went into paint and tried) make the angle any differently without it looking REALLY stupid.

I guess you need to show me what you're talking about. if you don't use the entrance and exit as reference.....and assume a straight line through them.....what else can you do? I'm perplexed.

And for the record....I NEVER said Roba should have shot this buck. I said "I" might have. I have two tags....and I did it, last year on an injured buck. I have NO issues with ANYONE who would pass on this buck. None.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do we tell EVERYBODY about gutshot deer? They WILL die from their wounds.
That's misrepresnting the idea a bit.........the textbook "gutshot" generally involves a complete through and through of the body cavity. IMO there's a heck of a lot more damage done on an arrow that travels straight through the entire organ or organs (stomach and intestines) vs one that may have just grazed the outer layer of possibly the intestines for all we know cutting one small ribbon of intestine vs slamming headlong through the whole body cavity.

I don't see how the arrow could have passed UNDER the spine and that deer still be alive. right under the spine at that point lies the kidneys and the main vasculature. That arrow IMO isn't sneaking under the spine without killing that deer in seconds by severing the main artery or near side kidney.

I do also think it snuck over the spine (It tapers pretty good at that area near the thicker part of the backstraps, but I also do think that the arrow had to sneak into the body cavity a bit on the far side simply due to the shape and curve of the body.
Whatever is hit if anything apparently??...............he's doing pretty good.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is anyone even looking at the video? Is it not clear that the hair is raised in a perfectly straight line from entrance to exit? Does that not indicate to you that the arrow passed just under the hide raising the hair like that?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt.....I don't see a pass-thru (and we're just talking, here......trust me) as any different from a peircing wound if we're talking about intestines and infection. I've got an 11" scar on my stomach from surgery I had to remove an infected portion of my intestine that was pierced internally from a fish bone. If I hadn't had it removed....yes...I would have died.

Far as I know.....these things just don't "repair themselves". Maybe I'll learn something from this.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man Germ, I am thankful you started a new thread. Whew...and I'll get more footage up tonight with close ups on the hit.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

Oh...that straight line don't mean crap. Some of you have had to hit a rib before and deflected your arrow in a different direction right. Happens all the time.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'll do it your way, Germ!

Edit**

Gary....I CAN'T (I went into paint and tried) make the angle any differently without it looking REALLY stupid.

I guess you need to show me what you're talking about. if you don't use the entrance and exit as reference.....and assume a straight line through them.....what else can you do? I'm perplexed.
You have to do it from the view I did. With the deer walking away. Jeff at one point video the buck is eating and the exit hole is facing the camera. I can see the top entrance hole, IMO that arrow did not touch a thing besides hide, fat and some fur.

I bet the arrow was covered with white fat on the end and was clean in the front. Rob I would love confirmation on this.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Is anyone even looking at the video? Is it not clear that the hair is raised in a perfectly straight line from entrance to exit?

Could this not be the swelling from the channel created by the arrow? And who knows how much swelling?

Is there something on the video we're not seeing in this pic?

I bet the arrow was covered with white fat on the end and was clean in the front. Rob I would love confirmation on this.
Id love to have seen the arrow, myself.

New thread??....lol They were ALL (videos) on that one! I just think it's an interesting discussion.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed that "swelling" look myself.........From that picture (The best one IMO) it very much appears that the arrow stayed completely over the spine.

I would bet that elongated lump IS swelling around the wound channel.

Quick Reply: Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.