Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another Ohio Giant >

Another Ohio Giant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Ohio Giant

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Another Ohio Giant

I recently posted (pope and young #2down) and told the story of this years buck. well this is last years, my brother suggested i post it on here.

All summer (2007) I had my eyes on this beast, watching him eat in a nearby soy bean field like a king in his castle. Since moving to this part of ohio 3 years ago, this was the largest buck i had laid eyes on, in a property that i could hunt. Needless to say my summer was a slow agonising one filled with dreams of sticking this monster. after months of preperation and planning stand placement i had the spot i knew i would take him from. I hunted hard early season hoping to get a shot, but nothing. hunting pressure was getting rediculouse because the farmer was letting everyone with a heart beat hunt onhis property. knowing i wasnt the only one who had seen this buckand knowing i wasnt the only one hunting this particular buck, i became OBSESSED with killing thistrophy. its all i could think about, all i would talk about and all i drempt about.
November 10th 2007 saturday,I woke up andwas tired from waking up early for nearly two months straight with work and hunting on the weekendstogether. but likethe whitetail addict I am i was in the woods 30 mins before light to be sure i was there before anyone else and had the right to ask anyone to move on if they walk up on me, this was my spot. The rut was swingin like Ron Jearmy and bucks were on the move. the temp was a cold 40degrees with heavy cloud cover and it felt like rain all morning. 7 am, i see a small 8pt chasing a doe in and out of the still standing corn 25 yds from my stand. Then at 8:10am a Very nice non typical 7 walked by and stood at twenty yards.......I drew back placed my twenty yard pin in the kill zone and hesitated....now this was a BIG buck....a massive 4 points on one side and then a GIANT spike that went straight up and was the size of a pop canon the other with a brow and two points at the top. I decided to pass and was glad I did because not 5 minutes later my buck came in, standing in the corn 5 rows deep he seemed to know something was up. he stood looking and feeding for about 15 minutes, the whole time my knees are knocking and i have to tell my self over and over, this is it, ..........this is him.....compose yourself....the buck stepped out of the corn with a few blows of my grunt call to help him out. he stopped at 31 yards and i let one fly, WHHHAMMM....The arrow hit with a funny sound, one i never heard before when hitting a deer and looked a bit far back...the deer jumped and took off into the corn 5rows deep. he stood for what seemed like 5 minutes just looking around...all i could think was, it was a bad hit....watch were he goes....it was a bad hit ...oh no....maybe i hit the dreadful no mans land in a deer that supposedly wont kill them......but then crash, he fell over and was toast!he was quartering toward me and the shot had hit the back of one lung and exited through the guts (not the best shot)....I walked up on the deer and was in aww...i just stood over him for the longest time thanking mother nature andnot believing that i had accomplished what i had set out to do.
while i was field dressing the buck another hunter walked up on me, he was only 50 yds behind me, and would probably got a shot at this buck if i wouldnt have intercepted him on his way there. the guy never said, but i know he was after the same buck.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another Ohio Giant

That's an amazing buck. Not too wide but great mass, lots of points and great tine length. Definitely a wall hanger.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome buck! Thanks for sharing
Old 10-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a great buck. nice story
Old 10-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, great buck. Congrats
Old 10-14-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Amazing buck, congrats on a fine trophy.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

outstanding buck![&:]
Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

Nice buck, Congratulations.
Chris
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, great story! Congrats on a great buck. What county of Ohio?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

fantastic buck....nice job!!

Quick Reply: Another Ohio Giant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.