Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck down...what a morning! >

Buck down...what a morning!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck down...what a morning!

Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Buck down...what a morning!

I said to Megan last night while laying in bed that today was going to be a good hunt. Boy was I right.

I get to my stand about twenty minutes before daybreak and get setup (I didn't climb the wrong tree either ) Just as it was light enough to see; I hear movement. Two bucks were making their way down the hill eating acorns along the way. They moseyed off into the thicket. I grunted three times to get their attention and they came back and hung around a while. One was a big six pointer and the other had to be at least a ten but had a small rack. The big six got thirty yards away and I told myself he'd have to be a bigger six than that before I would even take my bow off the hanger. The 10 or 12 pointer left for the thicket as the other continued eating.

About 8:30 I hear two dogs making their way closer and closer. Three does bust out of the thicket running for their lives with the dogs right behind them. Of course, this spooks the big six and he jets. That upset me just a little. Then I had BIGGER problems. Nature was calling (actually SCREAMING at me) and so I had to shimmy down the tree to take care of business. As I make my way back to my climber I see the two dogs again. I curse them under my breath and then ascend.

I'm back in the tree now and its about 10:30. I grunt about six times. Moments later a spike appears. He starts to feed and then I notice another buck, he's an 8 pointer. They feed for about thirty minutes and then take off. They saw something and didn't like it. I decide to grunt about another five times. Minutes later a "mule deer" approaches. I knew right off he was a shooter but he was heading the wrong way. Like a ventriloquist, I throw out two more grunts to give him a better idea but not a pinpointed location. He starts to come my way. I range a few objects and then without looking, clip on my release. He gets about thirty yards away and I release. My arrow buzzes through the air like a twin engine plane. One of my blazers came off mid flight. The buck startled and I couldn't believe I had missed. He walks about ten yards and looks confused. I nock another arrow. Then he starts to swagger and falls. He regains his composure and falls again. Not taking any chances I put my 40 yard pin on his lungs. Between me being drunk on adrenaline and him staggering my arrow lands right in his hind quarter. WOW! Terrible shot. He doesn't seem to notice and falls down one last time and expires. He didn't go more than thirty yards from the first arrow. Never out of my sight.

The amazing thing about this whole ordeal was that this buck was standing in the SAME EXACT spot where I shot my buck last year that wasn't found until much later. Also, this is the latest time of the morning I have ever killed a buck and early season at that. I passed on bigger bucks last year but I thought this guy was unique. I love the "mulie" look and his raised lightly colored brow. Score will be later tonight. Thanks for looking!

I must have taken out some vitally important arteries. The arrow had NO blood on it because of where it exited. Only some tallow.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Default RE: Buck down...what a morning!

NICE BUCK!!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright Finch! VA buck down....very cool.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! That's a great buck and story. I kinda got a little excited myself while reading itGreat job!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice pictures of a great buck. looks like your shot was perfect.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 PM

Cool buck! Congrats...still waitin for that feelin over here in KY. Ive been pretty pesimistic thus far here...but with rut, comes a chance of literally anything happening. Ill doe hunt for the next week or two, then finally move in to some of my best stand sites for some (hopefully) better buck action. Cool that you gotter done early. One buck state or two?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:45 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I really needed this after the season I had last year.

One buck state or two?
Actually, we are allowed three bucks per year. So, I'll definitely be holding out for a wall hanger. Just need to kill a doe now in order to be eligible for my next buck.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck finch
Old 10-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Job man, I guess your gonna need to find a grinder sooner then you thought???

Quick Reply: Buck down...what a morning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.