Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you shoot farther than normal IF…. >

Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

After seeing the initial responses, I think the way one determines their “normal max range” has an impact on the answer.
I am more than capable of hitting the vitals of a deer at ranges a good bit farther than what I choose to shoot at. My shooting ability only plays a small role in this decision, along with tracking conditions, hunting conditions (thick woods, lots of twigs), general philosophy on bowhunting, and the possibility of the deer moving. I like to keep things as close to “guaranteed” as I can when it comes to bowhunting, so I limit myself to ranges well under what I have pins for. Given the scenario I proposed, with a known distance, yes I would shoot out to what I had pins for, because 1, I’m confident in my shooting ability, and 2, those conditions make for MUCH easier tracking should the shot not turn out ideal. If the shot is fatal, I will find the deer.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

If I can see it, ill sling an arrow at it. My furthest shot has been over 200 yards.

Wait, that was while shooting clout.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, if I can't normally take the shot it is outside of my effective range regardless of conditions. That said, I will reduce my range if conditions aren't optimal (e.g. rain, jumpy animal, etc.) but my effective range is my effective range. It don't get any better with outside conditions.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the underlying premise for me is that I don't have a set in stone effective range. It is dictated on a day by day and a case by case basis. If I am hunting and area that is real thick, or the deer is nervous,or it's real windyetc. etc. my "max effective range" for that day may be 25 or 30 yards. On a calm day with good tracking conditionsand a calm animal in the wide openmy "max effective range" may be 50 yards.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been guilty of shooting farther than I was comfortable with before. Both times ended with a clean kill, but I think lady luck was on my side on those occasions. I have a set limit that I stick to now. 30 is the absolute max I will shoot, regardless of animal size, conditions, etc.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

After seeing the initial responses, I think the way one determines their “normal max range” has an impact on the answer.
I am more than capable of hitting the vitals of a deer at ranges a good bit farther than what I choose to shoot at. My shooting ability only plays a small role in this decision, along with tracking conditions, hunting conditions (thick woods, lots of twigs), general philosophy on bowhunting, and the possibility of the deer moving. I like to keep things as close to “guaranteed” as I can when it comes to bowhunting, so I limit myself to ranges well under what I have pins for. Given the scenario I proposed, with a known distance, yes I would shoot out to what I had pins for, because 1, I’m confident in my shooting ability, and 2, those conditions make for MUCH easier tracking should the shot not turn out ideal. If the shot is fatal, I will find the deer.
exactly! My hunting range is set with limitations far within my capabilities of shooting. I "could" shoot a deers vitalsfrom 45 yards nearly every single time....but I choose not to in the field. If the planets align and every condition is perfect like your scenario, then yes I would shoot past my set limit for hunting. I am still just as accurate out past this limit, just choose not to shoot it during most hunting scenarios. We arent talking 20 to 60 yards here. Its like asking, would you take a 40 yard shot (pin set for 40 and you are dead on here) when your set range for hunting is 30? Your easily just as accurate at the next step back, and all the conditions are right.

Its like Matt said, just dont do something stupid.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO. I am not shooting over 30-32 yards with my current set-up.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

If ur not gonna make a clean kill on an animal, NO
Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

As some of the guys have already posted, my max range depends on many variables. The weather, the deer, the surroundings, the location, etc. If you asked me to give a number, I would say 30 because that is average. But under the right circumstances I would shoot out to 35. Under the wrong circumstances I won't shoot past 20.

This weekend I had a doe come in who knew there was something wrong. As I was looking for a shot, I told myself no more than 20 and aim at the bottom half because she will most likely duck. A few minutes later I had her standing broadside at 30 (my numerical max effective range), but didn't even pick up the bow because I knew she was too anxious and the chance of wounding was too great. On the flip side, I had a dead calm deer (BB) come into my setup and browse at 35 yds a few years ago. I felt confident in all present variables and executed the perfect shot. He was down in seconds.

So given the conditions above, I'm not ruling out the option of taking a bit longer shot than my numerical answer of 30....it just depends on the variables. As a sidenote I will never shoot farther than the pins on my site (currently out to 40).

Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

YES

Quick Reply: Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.