Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What calls/sounds have you heard in the woods? >

What calls/sounds have you heard in the woods?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What calls/sounds have you heard in the woods?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:00 PM

Default What calls/sounds have you heard in the woods?

This is just a fun post to see what sounds people have heard in the woods. I've been fortunate enough to hear 3 of the 5. If you think of another call post it and I'll make it a choice.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What calls/sounds have you heard in the woods?

I've heard horses neigh'in, dogs barking, a guy runnin' thru the woods hollerin' for no aparent reason, atv's, and get this..... a helicopter flying 20 ft over the top of my tree.

Oh, you mean sounds deer make. uhhh none yet.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 PM

Ha Hoyt I've heard all of those too except for the helicopter and random guy running through the woods. I can't even imagine having a helicopter go over some of the skinny trees i've got stands hung in. Just to clear this up for everyone you don't have to have heard these sounds this year. I haven't heard a single sound except for the famous doe blowing .
Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 PM

I can't believe I left out one of the most common ones. Sorry to all who have already voted.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

After nearly 30 seasons bowhunting, I have heard and seen all but two. I have not heard the buck roar unless you count a buck we ran down/bled out and he turned and roared at us. The other I have never heard is the estrous doe bleat, that is still under skepticism. Some believe it's nothing more than an excited or eager contact call which I have heard.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive hear a couple different grunts....

and fawn bleats...maybe and/or doe bleats it was summer and we could hear bleating and a pack of yotes...kinda weird to hear nature at work......

havent spent a whole lot of time being still and quiet and controlling my scent except the past 2 season and this season bowhunting....so im sure i'll hear more...

i heard 2 bucks communicating one morning in the dark making a grunt that ive never heard anywhere....i cant even describe it...it was more of a ticking than anything and real long it seemed....i know it was 2 bucks because they came back through around 10am...i know it was them because i had the biggun in the moonlight while they were making that noise...

heard a noise the other day that i had no idea what it was...danged turnpike was roaring...i couldnt pinpoint what it was or what it sounded like...not long later 2 bucks came...and i was grunting every half hour or hr for the 2hrs prior....so who knows....

im VERY interested in deer calling...its something i wanna learn all i can about....i love calling just because it keeps me active and alert and always scanning...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

could have been a tending grunt mauser depending on when in the season you heard the sounds..
Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

you could add bucks fighting
[align=left] [/align]