Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Found Some Awesome Buck Sign - Your thoughts ?? >

Found Some Awesome Buck Sign - Your thoughts ??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Found Some Awesome Buck Sign - Your thoughts ??

Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Found Some Awesome Buck Sign - Your thoughts ??

I recently acquired 294 acres in New York and started doing some posting and scouting last week. Well today it was to warm to hunt the evening in PA so I decided to scout out New York. We found some of the best deer trails that I have ever seen, tons of apples trees, and some spotty oak trees here and there. Well I can say that I found at least two dozen plus scrapes and countless rubs, some big ones to boot. One rub in particular is no doubt a signpost rub that you read about. The trail around that rub has at least another 20 that you could follow...he marked the trail well....off this trail was a lone oak, and wouldn't you know it, tons of acorns and deer tracks. Best part is this area is a perfect pinch point....

We hung three stands today and tomorrow will work on posting the borders. I put up a trail camera near the one stand, as I don't plan on hunting that one till after Halloween. This way I can check it in two weeks to see what is using those trails. This stand is on the edge of an old clear cut and 6 DIFFERENT trails cut within 30 yards of the stand. I will be back tomorrow and will post up the pics of the signpost rub.

With all the sign that I have seen, I think its a good idea to put a hold on PA....looks to Bucky not too.

This really got me pumped....So just wondering what some of you think. The back piece isfullof tops and good cover, Iam thinking tohunt the fringe of this areaand not invade what is good potential bedding areas. This way I can seewhat happens or should I dive right into theback ?

Your thoughts ???
Old 10-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Found Some Awesome Buck Sign - Your thoughts ??

After giving it some careful thought I would say you are a lucky guy!! Sounds like the only thing it's missing is a high fence.
I doknow how good it feels when youhave a set-up that just feels great. Knock em dead!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 PM

My $0.02....yeah, leave something for the rut and not pressure the bedding area(s). That time will come. As for the acrons - if you wait a couple of weeks, you might find out you're a week or so late. Take advantage of them asap...stick with favorable winds and, if possible, hunt the nuts in the evenings only. Most times I've hunted nuts in the a.m. - we just jump too many deer (and those are the ones we heard) - educate them way too quickly. Oh, yea...have some fun! good luck
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

I put a stand 20 yards from the nut tree and never considered not hunting in the morning. I normally hunt bottlenecks and pinch points. What makes this even better is that the woods does pinch down rather nicely.

Thanks for the input on the morning hunt, will have to keep that in mind.

ORIGINAL: nomad11

My $0.02....yeah, leave something for the rut and not pressure the bedding area(s). That time will come. As for the acrons - if you wait a couple of weeks, you might find out you're a week or so late. Take advantage of them asap...stick with favorable winds and, if possible, hunt the nuts in the evenings only. Most times I've hunted nuts in the a.m. - we just jump too many deer (and those are the ones we heard) - educate them way too quickly. Oh, yea...have some fun! good luck
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Did you buy this land or are just hunting it? Sounds like a good area.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the aerial

Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

No luck with posting the aerial any better.....

Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Did you buy this land?
Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say hunt the nuts. I know someone said not to in the AM. I was hunting a spot a few years ago until the land owner said no more hunting [:@]and I always got into the woods about 45 min or so before daylight and always saw deer about an hour or so after daylight and I hunted on the ground. The deer would show up 4 to 8 at a time digging for them nuts. I wish Ihad my own property to hunt. It seams like every time I turn around the land owners are NOT letting people hunt there no more. At this pace the only place I will have to hunt in a couple of years is off my back deck and I only own 1 acer. GL looks like a sweet area.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Went back in to put up the bow rope and finishing posting the border. Every scrape was opened up since yesterday and I see what you mean, you can see where the deer have dug up the ground looking for every nut. Saw a little buck about 100 yards past the stand on the main trail.

It is getting harder to hunt private land that is for sure. Most people are concerned I am sure with the liability for one, the others either hunt themselves or someone in their family does.

I think the days of a "free" hunt are coming to an end which I why we took the route we did. The other option is leasing. I have been more excited about scouting the new ground than hunting in PA at this point.

ORIGINAL: V8Ranger

I would say hunt the nuts. I know someone said not to in the AM. I was hunting a spot a few years ago until the land owner said no more hunting [:@]and I always got into the woods about 45 min or so before daylight and always saw deer about an hour or so after daylight and I hunted on the ground. The deer would show up 4 to 8 at a time digging for them nuts. I wish Ihad my own property to hunt. It seams like every time I turn around the land owners are NOT letting people hunt there no more. At this pace the only place I will have to hunt in a couple of years is off my back deck and I only own 1 acer. GL looks like a sweet area.

Quick Reply: Found Some Awesome Buck Sign - Your thoughts ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.