Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long did it take? >

How long did it take?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long did it take?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long did it take?

I have been hunting for 4 years and still have yet to take a buck. I have had many opportunities at small bucks, but nothing I wanted to shoot. People call me picky, but I just want to wait for a nice buck and give the young ones times to grow.

Just curious to how long it took some of you to get your first buck.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How long did it take?

I am in the same boat. This is my 4th season and I haven't taken anything yet. Mostly due to the fact that I was giving my son first shot at any deer. I did shot a buck last year with a bow during rifle season that was finished off with a rifle, so I can't claim that asa kill. I have left alot of small bucks walk, but I already have a good buck on the wall, so I am waiting for something similar or an older buck that looks like it won't get much bigger.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM

I wasn't very picky, but shot a nice 8 point buck in my second bowhunting trip at 14. If you are going to wait, your take will be very dependent on where you hunt and how much you hunt, so it could be a while.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

My advice to any beginner is shoot something. Don't have too high of standards to start, get some kills under your belt either with doe tags or whatever. You need to be confident and able to control your nerves when you do get the chance at the big boy. If the first deer you draw back on is a monster you will come un-glued, atleast I would hope you do or else hunting will get old fast
Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Passing on deer in the woods allows you to learn a lot about their behavior and helps you develop a little better skills as a hunter. Don't fret getting that first buck, it will happen if you stay with it and hunt the right places. If you'd be happy with a little basket 6pt, then let him have it.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WhitBri

My advice to any beginner is shoot something. Don't have too high of standards to start, get some kills under your belt either with doe tags or whatever. You need to be confident and able to control your nerves when you do get the chance at the big boy. If the first deer you draw back on is a monster you will come un-glued, atleast I would hope you do or else hunting will get old fast
This is great advice!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM

IMO, you've got the right attitude. Shoot what makes YOU happy, and screw everybody else. If you don't want a small one for your first......that's absolutely your right. That's exactly what I did, and managed a 130" 8 pointer for my first archery killed buck. To answer your question, I was bowhunting for around 5 years, but wasn't targeting a buck at first. I was seriously after a buck for 3 seasons before I shot that one.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:15 PM

This is my second season "seriously" bowhunting and third season total bowhunting - my first season was only a couple sits because of time constraints. Either way, I've yet to tag a deer with the bow as well. I've got a bunch with the old Marlin 336 but have had a heckuva time trying to get out and get a doe (EAB regs where I'm from).
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I predict you will take your first buck either this weekend, next weekend, or the weekend of nov 1 - 4th

Dont worry about the buck so much though. It will come. I give ya crap about being so picky, but as long as your happy with your decision, I'm happy.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: WhitBri

Exactly! You must build confidence in yourself. Get a few kills under your belt and then you know that you can get the job done when the big boy steps out!

Quick Reply: How long did it take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.