Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long did it take? >

How long did it take?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long did it take?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long did it take?

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

I have been hunting for 4 years and still have yet to take a buck. I have had many opportunities at small bucks, but nothing I wanted to shoot. People call me picky, but I just want to wait for a nice buck and give the young ones times to grow.

Just curious to how long it took some of you to get your first buck.
I'll let you know how long it took when I get my first buck with my bow. The does in my areas are scared to death, though.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter2001

ORIGINAL: WhitBri

My advice to any beginner is shoot something. Don't have too high of standards to start, get some kills under your belt either with doe tags or whatever. You need to be confident and able to control your nerves when you do get the chance at the big boy. If the first deer you draw back on is a monster you will come un-glued, atleast I would hope you do or else hunting will get old fast
Exactly! You must build confidence in yourself. Get a few kills under your belt and then you know that you can get the job done when the big boy steps out!
x2
Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know you've been after a doe this season, so "gettinga kill under your belt" can be accomplished that way as well.

To answer the how long question, the first buck was my first full season of bowhunting - but that was after many years of rifle/muzzleloader hunting. It wasn't anything huge, actually the smallest buck I've every shot. A little 6 pointer. It was a great confidence booster though.

Bottom line, shoot what YOU want.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my 4th overall season bowhunting but my 2nd season of taking it seriously and i haven't killed a buck yet but im not to worried about it. I just enjoy being in the woods, killing a big buck would justbe a bonus.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my 5th year bowhunting and have yet to take a buck. I have 3 does to my credit and things are looking bright for this year. Saw a couple nice shooters last year but they did not give me the satisfaction of letting take em down. I feel strongly that this is the year...
Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

I think that it is important to get a couple of deer under your belt before looking for a mature big scoring buck. The reason being is that you may end up actually killing your spirit of the hunt after you get your first big one because after that you may want to top that one and honestly depending on your habitate may not ever get the chance. Just my opinion.
good luck
Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 PM

My first buck came at 8am the very first morning I sat out with a Bow. that was some 14 yrs ago I guess. small 4 or 6 point, can't remember, but a small deer, I was young, and just wanted a kill. I Was not concerned about QDM, and nor was anyone else in the area I was hunting.

Up until this year, that was the only buck or animal I've taken with a bow, simply because when hunting in Quebec, once your Tag was gone, your done. And while I enjoy bow hunting, I love to hunt in November, so I put the bow down for a few years. I did hunt Moose with the bow, but never connected.

I recently picked it back up, because I can now tag 2 deer a year, or more with party hunting in Ontario, and I also have the option to Hunt in another Province in November with the Gun, so I now don't mind taking a deer early in the year, it doesn't mean that all my hunting is over.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st year bowhunting i killed two with my bow, nothing big a 2x1 and a 2x2. this was 3 years ago. last year i did not take a deer with my bow. this year i took a 3x3 (western standards) with my bow.

IMO if you want to wait that is your right, however on the smaller deer and young bucks i would practice drawing back on them and holding as if you were going to shoot..this will help your nerves....because when the time comes you will get nervous
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted for 3 years before i killed a deer with my bow. I shot my first deer when i was 15 with a 30-30 and trust me that was a long long time ago

Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Spike

This is my 8th year bowhunting and it took me 5 years before i killed a buck. I got lucky and my first buck was almost a 130 class buck, which is pretty nice for a first buck in my opinion. I missed and wounded my fair share of bucks/does before i finally killed one so live and learn. My dad once told me "You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take." I have kinda lived by that.

Quick Reply: How long did it take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.