Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long did it take? >

How long did it take?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long did it take?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long did it take?

It took me 5 years till I got my 1st buck. I wasn't picky either, I just couldn't get a buck to walk In front of me for the life of me. After I got that 1st one stuff really clicked.

Good luck Jenna!! Shoot what makes you happy!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

I have been hunting for 4 years and still have yet to take a buck. I have had many opportunities at small bucks, but nothing I wanted to shoot. People call me picky, but I just want to wait for a nice buck and give the young ones times to grow.

Just curious to how long it took some of you to get your first buck.
it took me 6 yrs to finally get one and mine was only taken cause it needed to be out of the heard... my second 2 yrs ago wasa decent 7 but now i refuse to shoot under 8 unless cull
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am suprised at how long alot of you all had to wait to get a buck. I have only shot one deer with my bow and I will gladly take a doe any day....just cant seem to get them to walk in front of me lol

I aint looking for a HUGE monster buck for my first, just a nice sized buck. I would gladly take a basket racked 6 or 8. Hopefully this is the year though

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

It took me all of the first morning of opening day of gun my first year hunting to harvest my first buck. During archery season I saw plenty of good bucks just out of range. I was only 13 at the time so being picky wasnt an issue with me. It was a little 5 pt buck and can tell you everything that happened that day to the detail. That was 17 yrs ago and alot has changed with how I hunt now. I dont think there is anything wrong with taking a small buck for your first one. Its always nice to get one under your belt then go from there. Its good to see that you have the right approach with deer management and letting smaller ones get bigger.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with those who suggest getting a few kills under your belt before targeting a specific age class or scoring-size buck. I started hunting in October of '05.....and "held out" for a buck that I thought I wanted, too. When the time finally came....I was ill-prepared for the moment. I decided, right then.....to take a seemingly "lesser" deer if the opportunity presented itself. My first deer was also my first buck. He was a 7-pointer that I'm still proud of.

To the guys who say waiting is the right thing.....I'd wonder how many times they attempted to kill a buck(s) before they got "theirs".....and how that first attempt worked out. Mine resulted in a totally shaking hunter and a "clipped" buck (that I luckily got another shot at......over a year later).
Old 10-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted with a gun my first 4 years, and i took a total of 3 shots, and harvested 0 deer. I probably only saw 20 or so.

Then i started bowhunting in 2006 and i shot my first deer/buck on November 14th. I wasnt picky, and im proud of what i shot. It just takes time....it will happen!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my first buck during my second season. I was 13 years old.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

To answer the question, I have shot two bucks that I didn't recover. That was in my 3rd and 4th yrs bowhunting if I remember. I went a couple of years without hunting with my bow b/c of other interests at the time.I've got two does under my belt and am nowfocused and ready to get a nice buck on the ground.

To address the other topic, I do believe a man should kill something, be it whatever they feel comfortable with, just to getreal life "practice" so they'll be ready whenBig Boy steps out.

I've got a friend who refused to shoot anything other than a big buck with his bow. He passed on tons of deer and finally a HUGE buck offered him a 10 yd shoton two different occasions, he missed once and the second time henevergot a shot off.After that he decidedto get a confirmed kill under his belt and he now has the confidenceto make the shot ifa big one steps out.

Even David had a fewkills under his belt with his slingshot before he took on Goliath .
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted for 2 years before i shot a buck with my bow. But when i was that young i wasn't too picky and ended up shooting a 4 point as my first. man was i pumped to get that first buck with my bow even though he was not that big.

Quick Reply: How long did it take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.