Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What am I not seeing here? >

What am I not seeing here?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What am I not seeing here?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What am I not seeing here?

Ok, so for years, there has always been a spot on our property where deer regularly show up, but for really no legitimate reason I can think of (terrain, food, water, etc). The weird thing is I've never hunted it. I've walked the area a lot, but really can't see a legitimate reason as to why deer are using it regularly (except some apple trees which are pretty well picked over by now).

Take a look at the arial map here:

The western blue dot is the area I would consider hanging a stand. The yellow dots are where I've always had the deer sightings. That is a horse pasture with really nothing growing in it. Just north of the stand location is where the apple trees are. Other than that, I can't figure out why they're in this area? My uncle's house is to the west of my stand (you can see it on the side of the image), and the pasture really doesn't offer much cover, but they're in there a lot. Not every night, but many nights. Is there anything in the remote area that stands out to you that I may be missing? The blue pin to the east is another area I've considered hunting as well to get the deer entering the eastern portion of the field.

Here's a topo of the area:

The purple dot is the stand location.

So, am I missing something, or should I just hunt it for the heck of it since I've seen deer in the area?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What am I not seeing here?

Set-up an observation stand. Maybe right on the edge to see where the deer are coming and going from. It wouldn't hurt if you're seeing deer there.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What am I not seeing here?

Almost looks to me like your pink dot is sitting in a small saddle-type area of the ground there. You got 2 "points" coming towards each other there, and they are just naturally taking that path because it's easier walking.