Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It.... Was... Ridiculous..... >

It.... Was... Ridiculous.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It.... Was... Ridiculous.....

Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It.... Was... Ridiculous.....

This evening I decided to try my only hunting spot.... which is basically the back yard of a co-worker of my Dad's down in the city (within the incorporated limits) that has one acre of property on a lake, right next to the James River.

At first, I was kinda apprehensive, because this is a full blown neighborhood. But I spoke to the neighbors, and everyone wants the deer thinned out... the bushes are grazed almost to nothing.

There are about 12 trees in this gent's yard... all oaks... all full of acorns.

When I got there at about 4pm, a fellow and his son were fishing off the neighbors dock. I didn't want to intrude or make them feel like they had to leave or anything, so I broke out my book and sat in the truck and read for a while. They left at about 430, so I got out and found a tree... took some yardages and climbed on up. The neighbors came home at that point and let out their yappy dog and I talked to them live from the treestand while they carried cocktails down to their dock (which is right where the deer come from). They said they'd be in shortly, and they were.

Fifteen minutes after they went into the house, right about 530 or so, I was sending text messages back and forth with Vabowman who is up in the mountains and had three or four bucks in front of him. I reminded him how much I hate him and all that, and looked up and to my absolute shock, there stands a deer in the neighbors yard, eating the boxwoods. I would have sooner expected the Good Humor man to deliver me popsicle in the tree than to see a deer where I was. Seriously.

Not only do I now see a deer, but she is doing exactly what I want her to with a fawn in tow. She's certainly respectable, and I thought... well thats why I'm here.

The trail she is supposed to come in on is right at 30 yards, and I have my slider sight set up for it. I am standing and clipped in perfect when she gets there, and she actually came up into the yard... not down by the pond where I expected her to go.

So as she walks I pick the right spot to stop her, and I make the little kissing squirrel type noise and she stops casually and looks off into the yard.... 23 yards.... total broadside, I'm at full draw.... and I'm thinking about everything else except shooting this deer.... what if this thing runs off and dies in some kid's play pen.... where are those kids that were fishing... I wish that dog would shut the hell up already..... everything except what I should of been thinking about....

Now, over the course of the last 12 years or so... I've probably killed close to 50 deer and 30 pigs with a bow... and probably missed a solid 20-25 times along the way.... made some good shots... and some not so good shots.... but brother when I tell you I missed this doe.... If I didn't shoot over her by a solid FOOT I'll eat my hat. I punched the release and jerked my arm up and did all kinds of fool ass stuff I know far and away better than to do..... in fact, I missed her so bad that she didn't bound away like deer do when you shoot over them due to the rushing arrow going by... but what spooked her was my arrow smackin a rock and skipping into a big oak about 15 yards behind her and she actually lept right at me and on up into the yard! I think what finally spooked her was me trying to contain my foolish laughter... man it was crazy....

Big old doe... standing in a patch of sunshine in a beautifully manicured patch of green grass. Nothing between us by 23 yards of semi-poluted Richmond air... and I choked like Shaq on the free throw line.... and I still can't stop laughin about it!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It.... Was... Ridiculous.....

Keeps ya honest...now get back out and give that nanny the "what for."[8D]
Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

haha well Im glad you can laugh about it. Everyone misses! Find me a hunter who doesnt and Ill show you a liar!!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Classic. We had a Urban season last year and I experienced the same thing. Except, I didn't miss[8D]. Oh well, she'll be back, I hear they like cocktails down by the dock.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Swamp,

That was/is an excellent story and thank you for sharing it with us. Too funny and in all honesty, a fantastic hunt.

I bet you have a return match at that free throw line.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

well at least you found it funny unlike most people who miss. lol thats why its called hunting and not shooting man.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, excellent story, Swamp. I was picturing this all while I was reading it, and I couldn't help but laugh, either. You will get your second chance no doubt!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Swamp,

That was/is an excellent story and thank you for sharing it with us. Too funny and in all honesty, a fantastic hunt.

I bet you have a return match at that free throw line.
Thanks Rob. In the last four seasons I've been good for one brick shot each year (but this wasn't even a brick... this was like shooting a free throw and hitting the opposing team's bench).... I'm hoping I got it out of my system already and I'm dialed in now.

She is going to be easy to pick out.... she has a big old patch of white right between her eyes... I just hope I don't start laughin again when I see her next time around thinkin' about this evening!!!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAHA..I love it! First off....Great to see Landon is doing what he loves...huntin...

Great Story by the way SWAMP....similar to my Michigan Story (Doe Kill) Sunday Night.

Dogs barking, kids screaming, cats walking under my stand, fourwheelers, chain saws,

And last but not least...I was listening to Leonard Skynard "Sweet Home Alabama" coming from this guys garage.....yep...right when I arrowed the doe I had Skynard playing at about 300 yards.......

I'm with ya buddy!...And I too... did the hesitate..., jerk, pull flinch, and miss by a mile...I did the same thing on a doe Oct. 2nd...LOVE IT!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

SwampCollie,

Ditch the treestand and get some Lawn Gnome camo and you can put on a spot and stalk.

Wayne

Quick Reply: It.... Was... Ridiculous.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.