Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent-Lok Socks

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scent-Lok Socks

David,

Since you have 30 years with experience with carbon and its abilities...what do you use for scent control. I dont have, nor plan on having anything "scent Lok" except my face mask. I bought it at Gander Mountain cheap and didnt buy it for the name, but rather its full face and neck cover.

I use Dead Downwind shower soap and shampoo, and use wafers to hang in branches surrounding the stand Im in.

Since you seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject...what do you find most affective in the woods?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I buy and wash with Neutrogena Fragrance Free Unscented soap. It cleans the heck out of you with no smell anditcost half what "HUNTER" soaps do and does a better job.Cost about $3.50 a bar I think. I was my clothes with unscented laudry detergents without brighteners. They're becoming harder to find so now I buy some commercial grade hunting clothes wash. I use unscented antiperspirant deodorant. I do use a scent killer spray. I spray everything, bow, clothes, stand, backpack straps, fanny pack,Hunter SafetySystem, you name it.. it get's sprayed often. I loved the Whitelightning but can't get it here so just buy HS Strut stuff or something like that. I hang and air out clothes. Sometimes I put pine, apples or leaves in the tubs with my clothes. My biggest scent control item is mother nature, Hunt the Wind. If it's wrong, stay home or go somewhere else.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its really quite simple, if it says Scent Lok on it, its a rip-off. Go to Meijer and get some basic hunting socks.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info. everyone. I still believe in the effectiveness of the socks and BaseSlayers, but as for now that's all I'm going wear. I honestly do think it was my socks that busted me out because on opening day, I had two does walk across my entrance path in the morning and then 9 cross my entrance path to my blind in the afternoon. Yet yesterday the doe that completely busted me out walked across my entrance path. The other doe that 'busted' me out never could quite figure out what the deal was. She knew something wasn't quite right and was pretty nervous and just walked out of the area. The doe that officially, actually busted me out took off out of the area- she KNEW what was wrong.

But I'm going to reactivate them tonight and wear them tomorrow and we shall see what the results are!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

You know, they make foot powders for stinky feet. They also make baking soda that helps.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

You know, they make foot powders for stinky feet. They also make baking soda that helps.
I've seen the foot powders in magazines, books etc. Will simply dumping some baking soda in your boots make a significant difference? If so, I think I'll have to give it a try.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

I've seen the foot powders in magazines, books etc. Will simply dumping some baking soda in your boots make a significant difference? If so, I think I'll have to give it a try.
Baking soda is famous for it's ability to absorb odors. It will make a huge difference.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Boy I did not know we had a bonified GOD DARNexpert, guess I will just throw all my carbon stuff out. Man I wish I would have know.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

What kind of boots were you wearing?? Try some rubber boots and spray some coon urine or some other cover scent on them before you walk to your stand.. They shouldn't be able to smell your feet through those socks, rubber boots, and coon urine....
Old 10-09-2008, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

Well, I'm a Scent Lok basher. It's bullhockey. That said, it might not have been your feet. It can be your pack, stand, bow or whatever that stinks most. Your breath puts out more stinky molecules than anything you own. As far as your WAFFERS, they're man made chemical products. They can set a deer off in a heart beat. I know you don't want to hear that, but they're artificial. You're better off washing up, taking care of your clothing and going stinky free. Cover ups and attractants just attract attention IMO. Your best friend is the WIND.... PERIOD.
Would you mind sharing while you feel scent lok doesn't work? Especially given the power of activated carbon?
Would you mind sharing while you feel scent lok doesn't work? Especially given the power of activated carbon?
There are soooo many grades of Activated Carbon and the absorption rates that grade can yield. Who is pulling Quality Assurance on the stuff? It is also scientifically proven that (at a molecular level) it STOPs absorbing. Then what? A new outfit? I am sure it works for a season or two depending on how much odor it absorbs. I, like many hunters, don't have the money to buy new outfits every other year or so. Use the wind.

Quick Reply: Scent-Lok Socks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.