Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Blew it Sunday with Pics >

Blew it Sunday with Pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blew it Sunday with Pics

Old 10-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Blew it Sunday with Pics

I headed home to Northern Indiana to hunt my family farm this past weekend. I had shipped a stand, climbing sticks, and a trail camera for my dad and brother to hang for me back in August. For the past two weeks, the trail camera was getting pictures of a pretty good 9 that was feeding in the morning in a cut bean field. I could not hunt the stand Saturday due to wind direction, but Sunday morning had a perfect SE wind for this stand. At first light I see three deer come out of the swamp across the cut bean field and start working the fense line towards my stand. I could see right away that one of them was sporting good bone. At 50 yards, I see the three deer are a small 8, a big 9, and a small cow horned spike. The stand was located about 20 yards from a stand corn field and 15 yards from the cut bean field. I had figured the deer were going to head to the corn, which was going to give a great shot. Instead the deer headed north along the timber in the cut bean field. For whatever reason, my dad and brother did not clear a single shooting lane to the cut beans. I start scanning for any kind of hole to get an arrow thru, but I am not seeing anything I like. Finally and maybe out of desperation, I see what I think is good enough opening. The small 8 stepped in it first and I clear look at his vitals, there was a limb there, but I thought I could get an arrow over the top of the limb. I grunted when the big 9 stepped into that hole to stop him. He stopped right where I wanted him, I looked thru the peep and thought it looked good, knowing I was going to have to go on top of the limb. The shot was right at 25 yards, I placed the pin on his vitals and touched the release. The arrow caught just the top of the limb and sailed safely 4 feet over the back of the deer. None of the deer really knew what happened, jumped around a bit and started feeding again, later passing in front of me in the timber at 50 yards. I don't think I will be able to make it up there to hunt again this year, but when I got down I made sure to clear a shooting lane to the bean field just in case. The pictures were taken about two mintues before the shot. It would have been great to put him in the truck, but it was still a great hunt and sharing the woods with my dad and brother is always a blast. Sorry I got long winded.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Blew it Sunday with Pics

keep your head up, it happens. Everyone misses time to time, unless your Bill Jordan then you miss alot!! GL in the future
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's cool just to have the opportunity to have the shot too.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, that's a great lookin buck! Just think...he'll be bigger next year!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Nice looking buck!! wish you could have taken him. Hope you get back up there for another chance.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I live and huntin NW Indiana, what area were you hunting...NW OR NE Nice to see big deer in Indiana...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Happens to everyone, go get him later!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: markjenna

I live and huntin NW Indiana, what area were you hunting...NW OR NE Nice to see big deer in Indiana...
The farm in is NE Indiana, Dekalb Co. The hunting has really gotten good up there in the last 10 years. That one buck rule has done Indiana deer hunting wonders.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

That sure would of been nice to get that one.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats an awesome buck!!! Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Quick Reply: Blew it Sunday with Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.