Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who shoots an 'old' bow still? >

Who shoots an 'old' bow still?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who shoots an 'old' bow still?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who shoots an 'old' bow still?

Golden Eagle Splitfire.......don't know the exact year but it's at least 8 years old.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

My compound is from 1992 or 93. works fine and I can shoot 2-3 inch groups at 40 yards. What more do you need.

I also have longbows and recurves I hunt with on occasion that are from the 50's
Old 10-08-2008, 07:12 AM

I'm still shooting my '92 browning X-cel, blazing 210 fps with aluminum, switched over to carbon last year but never chronied it. I bought it used from my brother for $100 in '01. I can hold 5 inch groups at 45 yds. Heading to MO next week to hunt our families property for deer and turkey with it. I would love to get something more modern, but not sure when I will ever be able to afford what I want.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Talondale

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

If those are old, I wonder what my '65 Bear Kodiak Mag or my early 70's John Schulz longbow would be called.
Was waiting for that reply. LOL

LOL,
I still consider my 2001 Adcock as "new".
Best of luck to you this year!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

I also shot a DARTON, Marvrick. I bought it in 1999 and have shot a lot of big deer with it even this year already. I try to talk myself into buying a new one every year, but why.. Would I like to have one yes. Do I need one to kill deer no. If it's not broke don't fix it. I will spend 1000 bucks on something I need first. LIKE A NEW GUN....LOL LOL....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

I still have an old wooden browning compound mostly for just target practice this old thing still has round wheel plastic cams with 65% let off
Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm shooting an '03 Bowtech. My last bow before that still has a wooden riser and steel cables
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Nova is 8 years odl and still shooting accurately, but next year it will be time to get a new one.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have aold Darton SL50 that must be pushing 25 YO. I still shoot the bow for the yuk yuk and to remind myself how far bows have really come. Ilob a few arrows with that and then the Hoyt and it's amazing.

The old girl will sure still kill but the feel, recoil, let off, noise and %50 let-off sure show you how outdated she is.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

he would realize what he's been missing in the new technology
Not everyone has to have all this new technology to bow hunt. Nothing wrong with that!
Exactly. I have a compound I built about 4 years ago. I put hoyt redline limbs on a power tec riser with an HO #6 cam and idler. Built a string and laced her up. It zips arrows around 300 fps. It is dead on and is almost impossible to miss the target with, but I dont hunt with it much at all. I built it because I had cut off two fingers and could not draw a trad bow, so I needed something to hunt with that season. I have pulled it out when I cant use my trad gear (lack of practice tiime, or injury). I pretty much use my own custom long bows or recurves. Not everyone likes the hightec bows. Kind of like going from a gun to a compound bow. The next step is going from a compound to trad gear. Then the next step is going from lam bows to self bows. Its all part of getting to the point to where the thrill is still there.

Quick Reply: Who shoots an 'old' bow still?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.