Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you use year old hunting scents? >

Would you use year old hunting scents?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you use year old hunting scents?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Would you use year old hunting scents?

I have a bunch of Primetime hunting scents left from last year, and I am questioning using them this year. Plus, how about my drag rag from last year, I have had it in a zip lock bag ever since it has been new, but it has been soaked with buck urine, and doe urine. Would you use this stuff again this year, or throw it out and get new. Same goes with those orange scent canisters, do you use them with last years scent in them, wash them out, or just throw them out?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default RE: Would you use year old hunting scents?

I would give them a good sniff, if it doesnt smell any different then go ahead. But, If they are real deer urine then maybe it wouldn't be a good idea. As far as the orange canisters, (Tinks scent bombs?)I wash and reuse them, but if you really dont want to, scent wicks aren't that expensive (like 2 bucks, probly get you through the season). I guess you gotta ask yourself - Is it worth taking a chance to save a few dollars? Me personally, I'm cheap but i spend all my hunting cash on scent control, except for a single 1 ounce bottle of Tink's 69 a year.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

I have and they've worked. This may be because I refrigerated it as well. A couple years ago Iheard froma H.S.hunting show to refrigerate it tokeep it fresh longer, don'tknow if that meant for a year or not though. This year I'm starting fresh though...And from now on, I'm going to buy new. It's not worth "blowing" a chance at a big buck just to save a few dollars, even with the economy going to pot.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM

I would check the drag line before using it. I had one left over from the year before one time. When I looked in the bag it was covered in mold[:'(]
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I was just pondering, I've never used a drag line. I've always waited until I've been about half way to my stand and put a drop on my boots, then sit out a scent can about 10 to 15 yards from my stand. I did that so they wouldn't follow it to my truck....but when I get out and walk back, I guess the could follow it back to where I was parked and picked up on human scent...I might have to re-think that. I'm big on trying not to educate them, maybe a should use a drag line.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

if not refrigerated, throw out. and clean the drag rag and it should be fine. i use a PeeWillieWick year after year by cleaning it with some general pupose cleaner.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I don't use scents, but in this case it seems that no matter what you do, last years deer urine is going to smell just like what it is: urine that's a year or more old![:'(]
Old 10-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wash the drag line if you can.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not too big on scents either, but I do have a few around. I tend to try and use them up each year, and purchase new or different one each season.

As far as scent bombs and all that goes, I don't fool with those, because I cannot keep straight what I have in which..... and I suspect if you mix it, it will smell like a deer urinal before long.

I like to use either Q-Tips or Cotton Balls as scent dispensers.... you can bend a Q tip at an angle and flick it like a cigarette and it will disperse scent the whole way.... and its 100% biodegrateable.