Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1 hog out of 2 and no deer seen. >

1 hog out of 2 and no deer seen.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1 hog out of 2 and no deer seen.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 1 hog out of 2 and no deer seen.

Hey guys. I'm back from my weekend in east Texas with some pork for the smoker. Less than I had hoped for though.
I went out to deer camp Thursday afternoon with the $200 rolling deer camp and got it set up. As evening approached I hit the woods for an uneventful sit. Friday morning I went and sat at a feeder, ( for those of you that have a problem with baiting you may stop reading now if you wish. If I fill my freezer, and that is my goal, it doesn't lessen my sense of accomplishment. It helps me accomplish what I set out to do.) Anyway, at first light a big bunch of pigs came in to the feeder. I stopped counting at 15. They were pushing and shoving under the feeder trying to get the corn. I picked out a large one and let fly with the Marquis. with all of the movement I hit the pig I was aiming for high. The arrow passed through his back above the spine and struck a smaller pig behind it. The second pig was hit in the left ham. The Rage 2 blade penetrated the second pig until it hit the hambone. It severed the femoral artery and the pig went about 25 yds with a bloodtrail Stevie Wonder could follow.
For those of you that want to be ethics police and bust me for shooting at a hog while it had others behind it get your warrants ready but please be aware that I have no ethics for hogs. They are vermin, tasty vermin to be sure, but vermin none the less.
I searched for the first hog until the sparse blood petered out about 1/4 mile away. I spent hours looking and concluded that due to shot placement and lack of blood that pig will be sore but a survivor.
I never did see a deer despite sitting 3 different stands,(only one is on a feeder), in6 different sits. There was a lot of activity on the land all weekend. Guys hanging stands and building box blinds in preparation for gun season mostly. All that activity is supposed to come to a halt upon the opening of the season. When I asked why it was still going on I was told they meant gun season halts all activity except hunting. No respect for the few bowhunters in the camp.
Anyway here is the pig I did recover. The scale in camp put this young boar at 78 pounds. I got 22 pounds of meat. The left ham was destroyed by the Rage.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1 hog out of 2 and no deer seen.

Rage wound after a passthrough on hog #1

The head came through with no damage. I just cleaned it up, touched it up, added a new o-ring and its back in my quiver.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats there Greg!!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad you didn't recover the first one for a "two-for-one special", but congrats just the same!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Too bad you didn't recover the first one for a "two-for-one special", but congrats just the same!
Thanks LC! We need to try and get you down here. This place is overrun with hogs.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG..... I would love to go hog hunting.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 AM

Hey Greg,
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. We got on the lease so late that there still is a lot of work to do. I've only managed to get out and hunt opening weekend. Haven't seen any deer but we are over run with hogs. Got within shooting range twice (once on a spot and stalk and once from a stand) but both times I got busted before I could shoot because they got too close. Both times they decided to come right at me and at 5 yards or less it's hard to hide.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, this place is overrun. I'll be having some HNI friends come down and help me thin them out!
Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pork! It's what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Congrats.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 AM

Way to go Greg!!! What not hunting with the Kanga Longbow? Whats up with that? LOL

Quick Reply: 1 hog out of 2 and no deer seen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.