Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recovery help asap >

Recovery help asap

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recovery help asap

Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recovery help asap

This months "Bow Hunter magazine has a story about recovering deer and the author found his buck will the aid of his GPS by using the tracking feature while he searched after several hours he looked at the screen to see where he had not searched,thats where he found the deer.
That's pretty neat and good thinking!! Good post Jim!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try again to locate a blood trail. Ingood light you can see things you'll miss with a flashlight. If that is not successful, I would then plan a very systemmatic search, like walking a grid within 300 yds of the last place he was seen or heard. Break it down into manageable blocks or search units and just keep at it. If that doesn't work, then broaden the search area.

In general, look in the thickest cover, and also spots where the bedded deer could watch his backtrail, such as a knoll. Wounded deer will often go to water, so ditches, creeks and ponds should be checked. Don't overlook little bits of cover in open areas. Deer will hide in th eopen sometimes, because they can see when something is following them.

I found a deerItracked for about 300 ydsin the middle ofa small field, where a large rock prevented the farmer from cutting the hay. Eventually a few shrubs and weeds grew up around the rock. That 15' x 15' spot of cover was where that deer wanted to be.

That deer should be dead and recoverable, so stay at it.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Deer shot in the stomach and intestines do not usually jump kick and take off like that. I don't think you hit quite as far back as you may think. I think you probably got the liver mostly. I don't understand though, how you got a pass through, but the deer carried the arrow 20 yards?

Hard hit deer typically take the path of least resistance. Last night, I helped a friend track a gut shot deer (so I found out later... got some bad intel from him initially) and that deer went into a ditch we had to slide down in, and then went back up a place I wouldn't expect a healthy deer to normally travel. The deer laid up in the creek... if you didn't bump him... a liver shot deer will usually bolt like you described, and lay up inside 80 yards. If you don't fool with them, they will usually die in less than an hour. If you bump them, they can and will go several hundred yards. I would look in that ravine and other low lying areas... blowdowns etc..... there is an excellant chance the deer did not travel far, and bedded up and will be dead in short order.
A passthrough is the arrow going all the way through the deer. The arrow went all the way through, hanging out the exit side, the deer ran and the arrow fell out after 20 yards.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Update?
Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Hopefully you find it today. All watching and waiting an update maybe he is quartering as we type for it has been 3 hours since he left to look.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

And update on this?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

no word yet[:@]
Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I hope he finds him. I want to see pics and a big ole smile.
Chris
Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Liver shot deer need 4-6 hours on the ground. Hitting the liver will cause INTERNAL Hemorrhage. The deer should bed down within a few hundred yards. Also I firmly believe the deer will take the path of least resistance IF it is not jumped. After that its hard to tell. I just recovered a liver shot deer and I took out 1 lung. The deer ran about 500 yards AFTER I jumped him. Get a buddy and one of you stay on blood, the other make large circles and you'll find him. Dont give up
Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABrent

Liver shot deer need 4-6 hours on the ground. Hitting the liver will cause INTERNAL Hemorrhage. The deer should bed down within a few hundred yards. Also I firmly believe the deer will take the path of least resistance IF it is not jumped. After that its hard to tell. I just recovered a liver shot deer and I took out 1 lung. The deer ran about 500 yards AFTER I jumped him. Get a buddy and one of you stay on blood, the other make large circles and you'll find him. Dont give up
no two deer are the same. i think in most cases what you stated can be assumed, but my brother shot one that hit liver and exited high missing other organs. deer ran and ran (not being bumped)..went over a mile and never beeded down and went up hill...completely opposite of what is common practice.

buttom line do the norm and check downhill and path of least resistance,... then check the none norm

Quick Reply: Recovery help asap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.