Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The BIG question!!! >

The BIG question!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The BIG question!!!

Old 03-20-2003, 10:17 PM

Default The BIG question!!!

I' m running low on my carbon arrows and am not sure what to restock on. Carbons or Alloys? I' ve used alloys in the past but are currently using carbons. I want to know what you' s suggest. I shoot a Reflex Extreme between 60-70lbs. Release aid 2 pronged launcher and sights. My alloys in the past obviosly bent but had great penitration however carbons are very light and fast but I havn' t yet built up the confidence in there penetration. Do they have the penitration of alloys or have I just been unlucky with my shot placment. Any ideas? I shoot 125gr blackstump braodheads and was also wondering what weight alloys if I choose them? The PSE hunting chart says 2219 are the best for my bow but I think they are too heavy and fall too much. I' ve also been told 2216 are great 2315 have also been mentioned to me. What do I do???[]
Old 03-21-2003, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The BIG question!!!

The charts don' t lie.You can find a carbon arrow that will weigh the same as the 2219' s by checking the different spine/stiffness charts made by arrow manufacturers.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:54 AM

If you choose an " alloy" then by all means use the arrow charts and select the correct spine. I have historically used Easton 2213 and 2314. The penetration is awesome.

This last year I could not leave well enough alone and jumped on the carbon band wagon. I used a light weight carbon arrow thinking that a faster arrow would penetrate better ( KE vs. Momentum issue but I will leave that one alone). I had very poor performance. I then returned to my aluminum arrows after the first week of our deer season.

If you are dead set on using carbons then try the Carbon express Terminator series. They are one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest, carbons on the market. They weigh more per inch then my aluminums. I am going to give them a try this year.

Unless you are shooting at extreme distance then I would not worry alot about arrow drop. It doesn' t matter much at 20 yards unless you are shooting 3/8 rebar.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-21-2003, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Guys

Go to -www.sccoutdoors.com- and go to Archery, then go to the site that says " check this out " It' s a slow motion video of carbons versus aluminum for flight and penetration. It' s pretty cool. It may help in your decision. elknut1
Old 03-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Last yr I shot alum, 2213 xx75 with vanes. 27" DRAW 60#. Shot 2 deer, pass through on both at 20 yrds. I switched to blackhawk vapor,s with feather,s carbon
shaft. My speed reaiiy picked up, my range comfort range went from 30 yrd,s to
40 yrd,s. I,m more accurate,I have not shot a deer yet, but when I practice my
penetration is 4 to 6" deeper depending on the yardage I,m shooting at then with
my alum arrow,s on the same target,s.

www.blackhawk archery.com

GO EARLY STAY LATE
Old 03-21-2003, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

elknut1...that is a great visual of carbon vs alum for penetration. Anybody who hasn' t seen this should, goto www.sccoutdoors.com , then enter the forums, enter Archery and click on the thread " check this out" . Click on the underlined Carbon vs Alum and it will load the feed for you.

I may just help lay to rest some of the misconceptions or doubts[] in what shaft to load this fall.

Thanks elknut1
Old 03-21-2003, 02:13 PM

i don' t know--must have a freak set-up here because i get better penetration with carbons. been using them for years without complaints. will never go back to aluminum
Old 03-21-2003, 03:08 PM

If you want a really strong aluminum than try the xx78 from easton. I think they are awesome arrow.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:39 PM

Hi,

I don' t agree with the way the test was done.

A 2117 shaft never flew well in any of my bows,it only showed a stiffer carbon arrow matched for the setup.

A smaller diameter arrow will always penetrate deeper in foam in evenly spined arrows.

Thats comparing a stick pin and a pencil, which will pick you the easiest.

I would like to see a 2315 shaft perform in slow motion in the same test,granted it won' t penetrate deeper in foam because of the diameter.

Quick Reply: The BIG question!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.