Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First deer!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 AM
GTD
Spike

Default First deer!

Not what I was hoping for. To be honest I would have taken a pass on her if I had a chance to size her up, but I don’t feel bad about taking the shot. Everything happened so fast. I had positioned myself between two trees in some brush. There was tall grass in front of me about fifteen feet away, and a little clearing to the right. I was concentrating on the area surrounding the clearing, when the rustle of brush and grass caught my attention. I looked over and could see the tail of the deer running and fast, coming my way. I fumbled around to get my release hooked up and drew back. When the fawn came out of the grass fifteen feet away all I could see is her head in my peep, I must have come down just a little when I released the arrow. The arrow entered the base of her neck and came out her back, she was about seven feet from me. Only after the shot did I realize she was a fawn, she tried to run but only got about twenty feet and fell. Holy sh*t! she was running right at me. I said that about a dozen times before getting control of myself. This is not how I pictured my first kill, everything was different. At first I felt a little ashamed[&o] for taking a fawn, but after a successful field dress,(another first) and thinking about how everything went down, I’m glad I took the shot. I did’nt choke, and it was a good learning experience.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First deer!

Congratulations on your first deer, hunting from the grounds adds a whole new twist to deer hunting.
Did you ever figure out what she was running from?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 AM
GTD
Spike

No but she sure was running fast, somthing spooked her.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your first deer! Now you're a killer.Since you got lucky with that shot, you should think more about shot selection. That wasn't a shot you should have taken.[:'(] I hope you realize that.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:29 AM
GTD
Spike

I do realize that, but shewas right in front of me andI had no other shot.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just claim self defence.

And think about it , its hard to hit "To far back" from that angle.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the first deer man it will get alot more addicting after this one
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect eating. Congrats with your first deer.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 AM
GTD
Spike

Thanks guys! This is all new to me, I didn’t grow up hunting, I’m 40 now, and this is my third season, first season bow hunting. Everything I have learned came from other hunters and reading a lot. I wish I had taken this up twenty years ago.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job Jon!! It's a great feeling but it looks like you learned a few things as well. I know exactly what you mean when you say it wasn't how you envisioned your first kill.
Death is a dirty business as you know and they don't all drop as dead as a stone. I am sure you learned that patience is a hard thing to come by. I personally think you took a fine deer and you should be VERY proud of yourself.

I always like to hear how your first field dressing went. Did you retch and get dry heaves. Were you enveloped in the steam of a hot gut pile?? How did you do on the butt?

If you have not taken her to the butcher yet you should clean her up a bit and have someone take a pic with you in it. Good pictures will make your trophy last forever. Maybe send the hide out to get tanned. Will cost about $30.00 but worth every penny. I send mine to WB Place but off hand I forget where they are.

I can remember 20 plus years ago having a real nice8 pt. coming in with his nose to the ground. I flung an arrowat that beast without a thought at all and missed by yards. Fun ain't it??

Quick Reply: First deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.