Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question about stalking in corn >

question about stalking in corn

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about stalking in corn

Old 10-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default question about stalking in corn

we lease 4 fields in my land to a farmer every year and he plants corn if i wanted to stalk deer in a corn field where would they be in that field i will try to find a map on google earth and post it on here but do most deer go into the middle of the field or do they stay on the outer part of it thanks guys
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question about stalking in corn

I watch a farmer cut corn and the deer in that field move while he did. They showed no sign of alarm but were always a corner ahead of him, just mosieing along. When he'd get to the end of a row they turn the corner just before he did.

Wait till he cuts it and set up on the opposite side. If they're there and don't know you are, they'll probably walk not run right by you. I was about 30 yards and no permission away from them. Sure was educational.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Iam not a farm hunting expert as most of my deer come from the big woods, but I would say play the wind and creep looking down every row of corn to see if you see deer. Sounds exciting.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of wind a little water in the air. Just go from row to row. Poke you head through the row scan both direction if nothing step into it and repeat. If you see deer back up about 10 rows side step and move in. Wind is a must! More wind and the more productive you will be. I have arrowed several deer in the bed from under 10 ft. Did I say wind is a must!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what TeeJay said and even more stress on wind being a must. It covers your sound and keeps your scent away.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Just what TeeJay said thats exatly what I do also. you must have wind for this to work, Stalking the corn rows is alot of fun, but very noisey, you need to have a good wind. if the wind is not blowing good it won't work.. Did I mention you gotta have a good wind? Don't forget about the wind.....
Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This would never work in Illinois, the corn is planted to close together to get maximum yield out of the land. And all the cornleafs overlap the row next to them making itnearly impossible to look further than 10-15 yards in front of you, and when walking those dried up leafs make alot of noise, and there's no way to avoid it, unless you belly crawl.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Learn something from every post. Gotta love this forum.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: solocamcan

This would never work in Illinois, the corn is planted to close together to get maximum yield out of the land. And all the cornleafs overlap the row next to them making itnearly impossible to look further than 10-15 yards in front of you, and when walking those dried up leafs make alot of noise, and there's no way to avoid it, unless you belly crawl.
You know I noticed that here in PA too.......I can remember as a kid sneaking through cornfields or looking for downed doves etc that you could look down the rows like they were individual roads. YOu could always spot deer lying in the little grassy patches and it was fun sneaking up on them.

Last season I got the bright idea to try to stalk a couple cornfields on property I have permission to do so here in PA. YIKES> Even with the corn dried out and the leaves "hanging" you couldn't see 10ft let alone shoot anywhere.

When did they start stacking them right on top of each other like that? I guess I never really paid THAT close of attention, and if it's better why wouldn't they have just done that in the past when I can remember them being wider?

Sorry for the hijack.......I was actually thinking about this again today.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Just go from row to row. Poke you head through the row scan both direction if nothing step into it and repeat.

We have close rows in MN also. Read above. The average shot in the corn is 15 ft.

Quick Reply: question about stalking in corn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.