Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer trails?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer trails?

What does it mean when you have a real good deertrail and it fads away to nothing all the sudden?

Just fishing for opinions. THANKS.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:38 AM

Default RE: Deer trails?

When I see that it's because the one large trail breaks off into several smaller trails. A great spot to hang a stand oftentimes.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

When I see that it's because the one large trail breaks off into several smaller trails. A great spot to hang a stand oftentimes.
Ok... I got that but why does one large trail break off into several smaller trails?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 AM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

Ok... I got that but why does one large trail break off into several smaller trails?
I would assume many different reasons, all of which could vary according to specific areas, times of the year, etc.

The experience I had with something like this was a trail that ran along a ridge, once the ridge widened out into a bench - the trail split in a few spots. There was bedding cover as well as some oak stands on this bench and there were trails that split and went towards those areas. Those same trails then either converged again down the ridge or just faded away into complete nothingness on the backsides of the cover and food sources. It was a pretty nice little spot and I took a couple deer during consecutive rifle seasons (this is before I started to bowhunt) but then we lost permission for that piece of property (friends moved away)
Old 10-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some really heavily traveled trails that do just that. In one case it fades completely away as it enters a white oak flat that also has more wintergreen than anywhere I hunt and they seem to love it. It doesn't make them taste minty though.

The other trail fades away as it enters a big swamp. I just attribute it to them speading out before they bed but that is just a guess.

I really believe that in areas without agriculture they meander more than if there was a solid local food sources. My deer wander all over the place and bed in different areas consistantly. Geez they are confusing.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other trails could be leading to bedding areas, feeding areas, staging areas etc.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Planter

I have some really heavily traveled trails that do just that. In one case it fades completely away as it enters a white oak flat that also has more wintergreen than anywhere I hunt and they seem to love it. It doesn't make them taste minty though.

The other trail fades away as it enters a big swamp. I just attribute it to them speading out before they bed but that is just a guess.

I really believe that in areas without agriculture they meander more than if there was a solid local food sources. My deer wander all over the place and bed in different areas consistantly. Geez they are confusing.
Thats my deer[:@], it gets frustraing sometimes....makes them hard to pattern.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see this some In the woods I hunt. Last year the stand I shot my 140" buck In was a prime example of what your talking about. At least where I am It seems they get to this certain spot and from there on they kind of go where they want. I actually like these areas more, less pin pointing one has to do. It gives you a little freedom on where to put a stand up. It seems when I find area's like this It's close to the edge of a woods (with In 60 yards).
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM

I don't think I would be too concerned with what I don't see or know....and concentrate more on what I do see and know.....
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt, I rarely see deer just walking down game trails out in the open. They seem to roam and move as they please, and are very unpredictable. I don't take too much stock in well used game trails once the season gets underway, and the hunting pressure increases.

Quick Reply: Deer trails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.