Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead Shattering bone. >

Broadhead Shattering bone.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Shattering bone.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Broadhead Shattering bone.

Got any stories. I need to stop hijacking PT's post.

When I shot my bear in Quebec, it laid down with his hind legs up under him. I was shooting a Beman ICS 340 Hunter at the time with a 100 gr 3 blade Muzzy.

The arrow entered just behind the bears shoulder angling back and blew threw his rear femur, probably one of the biggest bones in his body. The broad head ended up just under his hide in his rear leg. He went 40 yards.

When we deboned the meat for the trip home I was shocked to see the femur. It had a perfect Muzzy 3 blade hole through the solid part of the bone. The bone was broken but the hole was very definable. I purposely showed it to the outfitter as he had doubts about bows.

Anyone else have bone shattering broadhead stories?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Shattering bone.

I have 1 really good one actually.With what people consider a "flimsy" Rocket mechanical.

I shot a doe bedded downhill at about 30 yards facing away from me. She was pretty steeply down the hill facing away and I had basically her whole back to shoot at almost like a straight down shot.
I really took my time and burned a hole through her and the release cracked off.

The arrow hit her in the spine and SHATTERED it, I mean blew it into ragged pieces to the point where you could grab either side and completely separate the vertebrae.
The arrow continued through her chest, out her brisket and broke her right foreleg almost in half that was tucked under her as she was laying there.

THis was a good sized doe too.
The bow was a 2001 Bowtech Mighty Might at 70# shooting a 356gr A/C/C at 318fps tipped with a 75gr Rocket Miniblaster.

Needless to say, she didn't travel very far.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I almost took the leg off a deer with a shot in '06. Either that....or he broke the leg running away. It was right where my BH exited his off-side.....but it was also a deer in shear panic mode. Little of "both" (him twisting violently AND the BH wound)?

Hell I broke my leg cleanly (clean break)in '94when I twisted it violently....and nobody even shot me.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a 9 pointer 2 years ago with a Montec. When I recovered my arrow i noticed the tip had been bent some so I knew I had hit something solid.

Ifound the deer and the quartering towards angle showed that I had definantly gotten into the shoulder. When I butchered it it clearly showed the broadhead and blown through the shoulder blade and broke. It wasn't a complete passthrough but it did poke a hole in the other side.

The shot was only about 7 or 8 yards away though.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I have 1 really good one actually.With what people consider a "flimsy" Rocket mechanical.

I shot a doe bedded downhill at about 30 yards facing away from me. She was pretty steeply down the hill facing away and I had basically her whole back to shoot at almost like a straight down shot.
I really took my time and burned a hole through her and the release cracked off.

The arrow hit her in the spine and SHATTERED it, I mean blew it into ragged pieces to the point where you could grab either side and completely separate the vertebrae.
The arrow continued through her chest, out her brisket and broke her right foreleg almost in half that was tucked under her as she was laying there.

The bow was a 2001 Bowtech Mighty Might at 70# shooting a 356gr A/C/C at 318fps tipped with a 75gr Rocket Miniblaster.

Through it, interesting.

I bet she didn't go far.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM

I love these threads!!! Muzzy's are simple and tough!..... a bear femur, that's amazing!!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Through it, interesting.

I bet she didn't go far.
It hit the low side of it not directly on the spines of the vertebrae and I mean just SHATTERED it. I don't know exactly how it did it but the spinalcolumnwas separated completely it was a sick floppy grating feeling and the whole one vertebrae was in ragged chunks.
It was really wicked. I'd shot deer in the spine before and typically they just stop right there, but this one didn't center it and did more damage than any shot I have seen that did.

I must have hit it just right because it did that AND kept on plowing through.

Why you doubting me!? LOL
Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Now he's shot through a hip bone.

Gotta love the internet!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I wanted to be belittled and called a lier I'd post that I have shot through the spine and out the bottom of several bucks.So I won't.
Because God and Jeff both know thats not possible,so I'll only say that I have shot through the shoulder blade and out the far side ribs with 125 Gr thunderheads. I have on several occasions cleanly broke the off side leg bone with an exiting arrow that cut ribs off upon entering.
And your gonna love this one![]Ona stand along a hillside I had a nine point buck pass at about 15-18 yards broadside at eye level. As much as I hate to admit the shot did not hit where planed.[8D]Instead the arrow hit low and forward, breaking both front legs. The buck fell on his face breaking the arrow in three pieces,he sheared both ends of the arrow off leaving about a six or seven inch piece lodged in the very bottom of the chest cavity. A quick second shot ended the scenario.
Maybe it has some thing to do with the hardened steel chisle point on thunder heads but I have never had any problem breaking bones with them.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy's are bad through the bone...Took a doe 2 years ago. 15 yard shot slight quartering away. The arrow penatrated heropposite shoulder blade andlet a perfect hole in it. I thought that was pretty amazing that it would still have enough energy to make it through the bone afterhitting ribs and meat...

Quick Reply: Broadhead Shattering bone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.