Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Freak Accident Last Night Updated Pics!! >

Freak Accident Last Night Updated Pics!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Freak Accident Last Night Updated Pics!!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:07 PM

Default Freak Accident Last Night Updated Pics!!

I was shooting my bow last night and had just shot two good arrows and had the third at fulldraw. When I touched the trigger....BAM!!! I looked down and my thumb is bleeding. I took my glove off (practicing with them on) and I have pieces of carbon arrow stuck in my thumb and I and bleeding all over the place.

I run inside and get my sister and we stop the bleeding and call my parents who were not home. They came home and took me to the er. Long story short they took somexrays pulled out the 6-7 pieces that were in my thumb. Two of the pieces were about 2" long and sticking into my tendon!! I have to see a hand surgon and he will decide whether or not there are still pieces in my thumb.

I think I know what happened. The arrow I was shooting had a crack right where the cresting stops and when I released it broke and slammed into my thumb pushing the fragments into my thumb.

Moral of the story: Always check your arrows for cracks and imperfections before shooting.

Ive got some cool pics I can put up later.

I hope this doesnt mess up my weekend hunting plans.

Pray that it doesnt!!!

Edit: Here are some pics.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Freak Accident Last Night

That sucks. Hope you can still hunt. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ouch!!!
I hope all is well. I try to check my arrows as i'm walking back from the target each time. However, i know i don't do it every time and it might just jump up and bite me one day
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 PM

It did me. I learned my lesson!!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM

You should see a 2413 aluminum arrow go into your hand. I seen a bowhunter have a xx78 brake and stuck into his hand. A 24 takes a big chunk of meat out of your hand. I once when I was young and stupid I had a tapered wood arrow brake and stuck into my hand shooting a 75lbs long bow. Hurt like hell. I hope you get better some.

Good hunting
Old 10-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah I saw that happen right in front of me once, the arrow went right through his hand and made a mess out of it, multiple surgeries later to get full use of his hand back. I always flex my arrows after every shot to make sure there not cracked after seeing that. Sorry to hear that it happened to you, i hope you have a quick recovery and it doesnt cut into your time in the woods.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dangerous stuff man! Seriously guys you really do need to check em' I'm as guilty at being lazy with this as the next guy and it almost cost me this past 3D season.
I was on the practcie range warming up for a shoot and POW!!!![:-]crap went flying everywhere.
You can see where the back part of the arrow in my case went a little to the right actually hitting with enough force to knock the corner of my Limbdriver rest OFF. []Then it slammed into my riser doinking the finish.
The bulk of the mess somehow missed my arm but I still pulled 2 long slivers of carbon out of my long sleeve shirt cuff that somehow didn't get my wrist.

At the very least check every arrow when you are shootin groups and start whacking them together. The cracks aren't always obvious and the ones that will get you are on the back 1/2 of the arrow somewhere in front of the fletching.

This is all I found of the entire arrow.[:-]

Bow damage.......could have been my arm!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have read a few threads like this and it has made me check my arrows frequently. There was a user on here last year that had the back half of the arrow go through his hand, right in the meat at the base of the thumb. Definately woke me up. Hope you are ok bud.

Shane
Old 10-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FLboy77

I was shooting my bow last night and had just shot two good arrows and had the third at fulldraw. When I touched the trigger....BAM!!! I looked down and my thumb is bleeding. I took my glove off (practicing with them on) and I have pieces of carbon arrow stuck in my thumb and I and bleeding all over the place.

I run inside and get my sister and we stop the bleeding and call my parents who were not home. They came home and took me to the er. Long story short they took somexrays pulled out the 6-7 pieces that were in my thumb. Two of the pieces were about 2" long and sticking into my tendon!! I have to see a hand surgon and he will decide whether or not there are still pieces in my thumb.

I think I know what happend. The arrow I was shooting had a crack right were the cresting stops and when I realesed it broke and slammed into my thumb pushing the fragments into my thumb.

Moral of the story: Always check your arrows for cracks and imperfections before shooting.

Ive got some cool pics I can put up later.

I hope this dosent mess up my weekend hunting plans.

Pray that it doesnt!!!
Just to clear it up, your assuming it had a crack right?

And hope all is well for hunting this weekend!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Ouch! Betcha that felt good! At least your ok now.

Bring on the pics!

Quick Reply: Freak Accident Last Night Updated Pics!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.