Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting logged areas? >

hunting logged areas?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting logged areas?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Default hunting logged areas?

There is a spot we used to hunt but havent for about 4 years. I went up there fishing this spring and noticed the spot we hunted was logged last winter. I didnt go far in, but It was definetly logged some. Do deer usually hang around logged areas at this time of year, and what is a good way to hunt them?
This is a 3 square mile of county forest land with lots of marsh and some hardwoods, with almost no crop fields or other food sources for deer.
Any thoughts? thanks
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hunting logged areas?

I'm not really sure how to hunt it but I'm pretty sure deer love logged timber because they usually leave the tree tops laying all over the place and it makes great cover for them.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clear cuts and and newly logged woodlands are great spots to hunt deer. They'll be browsing on the fresh regrowth that is abundant after logging. During the late season, there'll still be abundant browse. It'll take a couple of yearsfor them to establish new trails through the site. They will also be bedding in spots where the regrowth is thick enough.Scout the trailsby hunting them or after a fresh snow. Spend a few evenings in a tree overlooking the site. Move your stand when you start to see a pattern.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:10 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with wingbone. Thou I haven't hunted logged areas for deer, I know that logged areas are good for elk for the same reason, the fresh food source plus the the remaining downed trees provide cover.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the stands I'm really looking forward to hunting this weekend is on the edge of a clear cut. I've seen several deer entering the area from the woods where my stand is.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Ah yes....i LOVE hunting a clear cut....deer think theyre hid a lot of times and move about in it when they wont move in other places a lot of times.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

The same thing happened where I hunt about 4 years ago, only they did it during the season and somehow saw my stand because when I walked in it was the only tree standing. The couple years I was able to hunt it, I saw a lot of deer. There was sign all over the place too. I think they're great to hunt, but once they start to get thick, the best pattern I found was to hunt close to the logging roads. They seemed to like traveling them.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:07 AM

The part of the country I hunt is almost all paper company land. The clear cut areas are excellent to hunt. They are supposed to be coming in and cutting an area of our lease here soon and we can't wait. It's an area we can't really get into but for 1-3 yrs after they cut it will be awesome.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will be better in a year or two, but "logging" not clear cutting can be great to hunt even this year. Look for a log landing or where multiple trails come together, this can be a great rut time stand.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first year I have found that you need to hunt edges and terrain, THEN the second and the third year it becomes hot for bedding and feeding with all the shoot growth....I love hunting logged areas.

Quick Reply: hunting logged areas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.