Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Curious???   long read >

Curious??? long read

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Curious??? long read

Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Curious??? long read

My Dad shot a doe last night. His story, broadside 20 yards complete pass through. He thought he heard the deer crash so he gets down, my dad has to walk with a cane and getting out of a 21' ladder stand took sometime, so I'm guessing 30 minutes. He found "some" blood and one spray area, but he as he was tracking he got blowed by what he thinks was the deer he shoot. I played basketball until 9 or so, so I had no idea and he backed out for the night. I went back this am and we searched for 3 hours and I haven't found the first drop of blood other than what he marked wtih TP. We grid searched, walked loops,hands and knees the whole nine and nothing. The arrow doens't have any stomach matter but it's not just sticky soaked in blood. Where could he have hit the deer? I may get flamed for not searching all day, but I've got responsiblities at work, but he's still looking.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Curious??? long read

Just because he got a complete pass thru doesn't mean anything. He could have complety passed through the deers leg for all we know. What color was the blood? Did you find any blood up high on weeds, grass, trees etc? Find any spots where the deer bedded? Did you look around water?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

He hit him in the Void

Good Luck Brandon, I dont think there Is really any way to tell, What tint was the blood? Dark red, pinkish?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Just because he got a complete pass thru doesn't mean anything. He could have complety passed through the deers leg for all we know. What color was the blood? Did you find any blood up high on weeds, grass, trees etc? Find any spots where the deer bedded? Did you look around water?

The blood was well, red. It also looked just like dried blood?? No high spray, all the blood was on lthe groundand none on the trees that I could find. Didn't look to be lung blood. I checked all water sources and all blow downs.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

What did the hair look like - how long, what color, coarse, etc.?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

He probolly hit a couple of inches below the spine nothing there but ribs... that happened to me a couple of years ago with shot gun...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Zero hair that I could find. The cock vane (white) had dark blood dried on it. Maybe he hit low or high, not sure.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

He probolly hit a couple of inches below the spine nothing there but ribs... that happened to me a couple of years ago with shot gun...
The ribs are below the spine.

Brandon.....I hate this has happened.....and I can come over tonight if you'd like to help.

I hit a deer in the early part of '07 and I knew I'd hit her a bit "high". I looked all night and into the morning....even took Coop (my Lab) to help. Nothing. I found a deer in the pasture fence a week later.....with this wound in her back. She'd gotten caught in the pasture fence....but everything leads to her being the one I'd hit the week before. I got a pass-thru on that shot....and there was only a smidge of blood at the POI. The arrow felt "greasy".....but no real blood was on it.

Call me if you need me.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Jeff I appreciate it.

I searched high and low this morning and couldn't find an speck of new/dried blood from what was there last night. I'll give it a once overafter workand see if the buzzards or coyotes tell me anything.

For the record He nor I take this very litely. It's not something that is the norm and he's very disgusted over it. Last time I talked to him he was headed out to shoot his bow from the stand and see if anything had changed.

Thanks for all the replies, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Quick Reply: Curious??? long read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.