Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are there any wildlife biologist on here??? >

Are there any wildlife biologist on here???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are there any wildlife biologist on here???

Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM

Default RE: Are there any wildlife biologist on here???

I was a Wildlife Biologist for the USGS for a few years. I'm in the same field yet but different title now. Not sure I can answer your questions but fire away.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to post your question and see if anyone can just answer it.

Many people can be a "wildlife biologist" even though they don't have a degree in "wildlife biology". my degree is in Biological Sciences, granite i took many "animal" science classes and could get a job with the Feds, State or private sector as a "wildlife biologist" my degree is not in that specific field. The question you may have could easily be answered by myself or anyone else who has a degree in any related field.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

First thing i'd like to ask out of a ton of questions is, what does it take to become a wildlife biologist??? How many years of college? What are the cold hard chances of becoming a biologist? And those of you who have been biologist... Did you like the job?

Thanks for your guys time.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

prepare to move, work odd hours, for little pay, in a field of 'wildlife' you may not want to mess with initially.............here in NC, to work in the field of study you wish, it takes a mighty determined foot to keep the door open.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM

It's a tough field, for sure. In my part of the world, there are lots of folks who want to do it for every opening that there is. Alot of times you may have to take a technician job at low pay just to get your foot in the door, because the positions that require a 4 year degree are being filled by ones that have a masters... Like said before, be prepared to work your butt off and move alot to fill openings untill you get enough experience to be able to have a real shot at the positions that you want. At least in the government type positions. Private sector is a little different, but it still ain't easy to get where you want to go.

That is one of the reasons I am not working in the wildlife field at present. I can make much more money as a production manager for a the manufacturing company I am with, and it is in a rural location where I want to raise my family, close to me and my wifes parents. I may get back into the wildlife field at some point, but it will be private sector and probably on a local basis. I help some of the folks around here, but it is strictly on the side.

Also bear in mind that working in a field that you love can sometimes burn you out on it. I have a very good friend who is a game warden now (we went through the wildlife science program together), and he does not hunt near as much as he used to. Hunting season is his busy time of year, and when he has time off he wants to do something else. He still hunts, but not like he used to.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:47 PM

OregonOutdoorDude PMed me with some more questions, and I thought I would post the answers up here in case anyone else is interested.

Opportunity as a biologist can vary considereably from one part of the country to another. Some areas are definitely harder to break into than others. As stated before, you quite probably will have to put in some time in fields you care nothing about untill you can work into the positions you desire. Competition for the jobs is generally pretty tough. You really need good grades, and you need to get experience any way you can. Most positions require a 4 year degree, and often it takes a Masters (6 year) to make you competitive for the Bachelors positions.

Volunteer to help with any projects or studies you can, even if you do not get paid. While I was in school I helped TPWD (Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept) do a study on the endangered Palo Duro Mouse which involved running several live catch trap lines up the sides of Palo Duro Canyon. It was a catch, measure, mark, and release type study which involved hiking up and down the sides of the canyon twice a day. Pretty tough work,and I did it forfree. I also helped Texas Animal Damage Control in controlling nuisance animals, once again, free. This involved everything from squirrels in little old ladies attics, to predator control, beavers doing damage in ponds, and pigeons on city rooftops.

I have never regretted the degree I chose to pursue when I got out of the Navy. Bottom line is, I still use that information constantly, even if it is for my own personal use. The main thing is that I have a degree, it shows you are intellegent, and trainable. Many jobs just require a degree, but what it is in really doesn't matter too much. I don't even have to have a degreefor what I am doing now. My five years in the Navy as a submarine mechanic helps more in my current job than my degree does. Hard work and dedication is what will get you where you want to be in life, always remember that.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OregonOutdoorDude

First thing i'd like to ask out of a ton of questions is, what does it take to become a wildlife biologist??? How many years of college? What are the cold hard chances of becoming a biologist? And those of you who have been biologist... Did you like the job?

Thanks for your guys time.
to get a degree (BA / BS) will take 4-6 years (depends on you) ... to get a job in the position of "Wildlife Biologist"..it really depends on your timing. it can take a long time depending on jobs and your location or it could take a short time.

best advice i can give is to start looking now. look at fed, state, and private sector. talk to persons who are holding those positions. i can tell you the pay is not great, especailly with state, the feds are a little better depening on where you live. you can make much more money doing other things environmentally related. not to discourage you at all, it it is something you really want to do..stick with it.

a key is to get your foot in the door. work summer jobs, get something part time as an intern, student assitant, etc!!! the more on the job training and interaction with the department you may want to work for the easier it will be...trust me...

as others have said in these hard time currently, the market SUCKS!!! i know this first hand as i am in the same boat.....jobs that only require a 4 year degree are being filled with persons who have a masters and PhD!! so timing can be a lot of it, but getting your foot in the door and letting them knowt he kind of person you are and your work habits will ensure them looking over a masters degree if you hold a bachelors.

are you in college now or is this a career you want to persue?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM

Fisheries Biologist here. There's a lot more opportunity in fisheries than wildlife since fisheries actually generate a substantial commercial industry. If you've got a biology degree and some statistics I can pretty much guarantee you work here in AK. You've just got to be able to handle being at sea in a crap environment (as in "Deadliest Catch").