Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 DIY processors...anyone have the Cabela's meat grinder? >

DIY processors...anyone have the Cabela's meat grinder?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DIY processors...anyone have the Cabela's meat grinder?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DIY processors...anyone have the Cabela's meat grinder?

I feel I keep repeating myself here as of lately about grinders but here goes. I bought a cheap $70-$80 electric 1/3 hp grinder from Wal-mart last year and have put 3-4 deer through it so far and absolutely love it! It grinds up as fast as I can feed it and havent had it bog out yet on me and I have tried to "Test" its durability!! I wouldnt think twice about picking up another one!!
Itis not heavy, easy to move around, simple, easy to clean, and just plain easy!! It might be worth checking out!!??

Asfar as the Cabelas grinder a buddyup the street bought a1hp last year and he has done a few deer and so far so good, helped them grind 2 deer and make some bologna with theres last year and it did really well! It shouldhave though for the price, but if I had the extra cash I would probably have one, the only downfall is it is heavy to lug around but no biggie!!

I stole this pic from Chuck7....he is using the same exact grinder I have in this pic. In all of his reviews I have heard him talk about he has'nt had any complaints either....!!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: WesternMdHardwoods

I feel I keep repeating myself here as of lately about grinders but here goes. I bought a cheap $70-$80 electric 1/3 hp grinder from Wal-mart last year and have put 3-4 deer through it so far and absolutely love it! It grinds up as fast as I can feed it and havent had it bog out yet on me and I have tried to "Test" its durability!! I wouldnt think twice about picking up another one!!
Itis not heavy, easy to move around, simple, easy to clean, and just plain easy!! It might be worth checking out!!??

Asfar as the Cabelas grinder a buddyup the street bought a1hp last year and he has done a few deer and so far so good, helped them grind 2 deer and make some bologna with theres last year and it did really well! It shouldhave though for the price, but if I had the extra cash I would probably have one, the only downfall is it is heavy to lug around but no biggie!!

I stole this pic from Chuck7....he is using the same exact grinder I have in this pic. In all of his reviews I have heard him talk about he has'nt had any complaints either....!!

I just looked on Walmart and I don't see one that matches what I see in the pic. Do you know what brand it is?

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_q uery=meat+grinder&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Fi nd=Find

BTW....$70-$80 sounds a lot more appealing than $300 or so. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a large hand grinder at Bass Pro in Orlando about six years ago . It was okay and I burned up a lot of calories grinding up my deer . About 3 years ago D!CK's Sporting Goods Store had their $100 electric grinders on sale for $50 . I bought one plus I had a $10 coupon . I have put about 8 deer through it so far .
The price to have a deer processed around here was about $65 a couple years so a friend told me . I have been cutting up my own deer for several years now . Even when they tag it at the Meat market , you can't be sure that you get your own . I have gotten less than expected as well as more than I should in the past . I take care of my deer and don't want someone' deer that has been riding around in a truck bed for a couple days !
I bought a Foodsaver Gamesaver last year from Cabelas . It does a great job !
Old 09-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man I am not really sure it is at my grandmothers where I do all my processing but if I get the chance I will run up and check tommorow and let you know! If Chuck7 is on maybe he can get the answer for you easier???

Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

I 2nd the LEM grinder. I have went through a lot of deer with mineand it works great. I have tried the smaller grinders before (Gander Mtn. version)and they work nice also but it seemed that I always had to keep alot of pressure on the meat with the pusher. With the LEM I can run bigger pieces of meat thru it and it handled them without having to push so hard, if at all.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have been looking at the cabelas grinders plan to buy the small one next season.
I looked through the 283 reviews on it there where four who had big issues one guy bought the 1 1/2 hp. model he said it would not work the meat through a second time. The second guy bought the 1 3/4 hp he said he ran a butcher shop at a major store. and he owned his own meat locker. He said he bought it for home use and it would not stuff sausage right and that it would not work the meat through right. The other guy said he ran 20 pounds through it waited 20 minutes why mixing the deer with fatty beef to for sausage i think then toward the end of the second pass through he said he could smell where it was cooking the meat and sizzling from the high heat from the motor.

Out of 283 there where 4 people i saw who gave it a score lower then 4 out of 5. They all bought the big units for home small use. There where properly 10 or 20 who gave it a four out of 5. The rest gave it 5 out of 5. So 4 people returned it and did not like it and 10 to 20 liked it alot but not perfect and roughly 260 love it and give it 5 out of 5. I think if you go with the cabelas unit really think of how big it need to be.

Everyone knows if you go to big you will have just as many issues if you go to small.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duc~~ The ONLY dowfall that I forgot to mention, was that that the actual GEAR that the hopper connects to is made of a hard poly plastic. It came with an extra gear, but so far it hasnt slipped at all and like I said I tried to "burn it up" so to speak because I figure it's wal-mart they will take anything back...haha...but it surely impressed me and didnt budge so I threw the reciept out and figure I will not need it by the time I would burn up two gears especially the way it is holding up so far!!

Thats the only downfall, and even if I would burn it up within a few years(which I am positive WONT happen) I would not be afraid to but another one!!! As a matter if fact I know I will buy another one if I have a problem or find a good deal!!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:03 PM

We use the Cabelas commercial grade stuff- been using it for about three seasons now. We have done more than a dozen deer without a hiccup....
Old 09-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Looks to me like he's pushing pretty hard to get the stuff through...which is fine if you don't mind that. With my LEM, I put the meat in hopper and let it go on it's own. Every now and then I may have to give it a little help, but rarely and not much.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not sure what he's doing, but I basically do the same thing you do as far as letting it go through by itself! I apply pressure to run it faster because I always seem to be in a hurry!!

Finch~~ I am sorry I didnt get a chance to check for the model today, I will get to it for you though!!

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Looks to me like he's pushing pretty hard to get the stuff through...which is fine if you don't mind that. With my LEM, I put the meat in hopper and let it go on it's own. Every now and then I may have to give it a little help, but rarely and not much.

Quick Reply: DIY processors...anyone have the Cabela's meat grinder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.