Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Kick off the 08 season with a nice doe w/pic!! >

Kick off the 08 season with a nice doe w/pic!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kick off the 08 season with a nice doe w/pic!!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Kick off the 08 season with a nice doe w/pic!!

I am fortunate enouch to hunt one of Pa's. management units which has an early doe season. I went out yesterday but didnt have any luck, saw6 doesand one small buck. All the does wereout of range and when a doe did finally come in, it was pass legal shooting hours. Fast forward to this afternoon. After taking a scent shower and gearing up andspraying down,I went back to the same spot and was settled in by 3:30. It was a gorgeous day to be in the woods, sun was out about 72 degrees. The wind was perfect. As i sat and waited i heard something in the brush to my right and behind me, i turned just in time to see i really nice looking red fox passing through. About 15 mins later i hear the telltale steps of a deer behind me. I turned slowly and there was a young doe making her way out into the field. She disappeared into a thicket for about 2 mins. then slowly made her way out into the field.I had a very narrow window in which to shoot as she passed between two bushes. I estimated her around 20 yds and released. Imagine the look on my face as i watched the arrow pass harmlesslyright underneath her chest[>:]. This dude was not to pleased with himself lol, not the way i wanted to start the season. I later verified she had been around 27 yds. it was very difficult to tell do to the terrain and the sun. Anyway, back to the hunt. So i am sitting there for about 20 mins wondering how I missed that deer when by chance I look out into the field behind me and see a nice mature doe coming my way. Oh yes, time for redemption. She slowly browsed her way to within 12 yds, but was hard quartering to, she stayed like that for about 5 mins, then finally she turned broadside. I waited until she moved her leg forward and put the pin right in the crease. I applied nice easy pressure to the trigger and the arrow was on its way. Now what happened next was something i had personally never witessed. When the arrow hit, it was like her side just erupted in a geyser of blood, i mean i have seen it on video, but it has never happened to me. She mule kicked and ran off into the thicket across from me, I heard her go down and saw all the brush thrashing around. I knew the Rage had done its job. I left and came back with my dad a few hours later to get her, nice that he offered, that thicket was no joke, had to crawl in to get her. Once I drug her out I noticed the entrance wound looked like someone took an ax to her side. Entered a little above and slightly behind the shoulder and exited the far shoulder. Took out both lungs.

Quick notes, I have never hunted with the Rage before and decided to carry two in my quiver with Tracer nocks on them. I was pleased with the outcome and damage these heads do, although the blades were bent, i am assuming from offside shoulder, the head remained completely intact though. Love the nocks, worked flawlessly. Sorry about the pic, slightly blurry, as dad was having issues with the focus.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:07 AM

Default RE: Kick off the 08 season with a nice doe w/pic!!

Nice doe, will make some tasty steaks. Congrats!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice job on redeeming yourself way to start off the season
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-24-2008, 02:49 AM

good job on redeeming yourself, it is always nice to get that first deer of the season
Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Shane!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:23 AM

good job and stick with rage
Old 09-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrats on your doe!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to redeem your miss. Good looking doe!

Quick Reply: Kick off the 08 season with a nice doe w/pic!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.