Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aging your deer

Old 09-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default aging your deer

how many of you age your deer if so.
How long
Do you hang it or bag it and stick it in the fridge.
If you do not age your deer why not.

At least for the first two to three weeks of season aging the deer hanging is not a option it will be anywhere from 60 to 80 in the day time and around 40 to 50 at night.
I was thinking of cutting the deer down to each piece of meat say the back straps in one bag and the shoulder muscles in another. for a few days to age the meat. then cutting it all up into what ever cuts i want.

Will the meat lose any blood after i cut it off the deer or could i just cut it up wrap it in butcher paper vacuum seal it and wait a few days to freeze.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: aging your deer

I age mine because thats how i was taught by my uncle. I cut everything off the deer that im taking and then i put in a huge cooler (get them at wal mart for $50, 120 qt) and keep them covered in ice for about 5 days. every day i go open the drain to let the water out from melted ice and then when i can start to see meat through the ice i put more ice in. The first day the ice will start melting fast because of the body heat from the deer. after the meat gets cold it will last a lot longer. Hope this helps.