Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My dad's bear hunt (revised) >

My dad's bear hunt (revised)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My dad's bear hunt (revised)

Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default My dad's bear hunt (revised)

A few days ago I had made a thread on my dad's encounter with a black bear on one of his baits. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...age=1&key=

Well he hunted that same bait again the next night and nothing showed so he figured he'd let It settle down some and move on to a different bait where he had some action the night before this. Right before dark he heard a squirrel go off about 30 yards or so and then right after that he heard a slight little crack. Squirrels usually will give a bear's presence away If they see them. Dad stood up from his seat and a few minutes later a very nice sized bear walks under his stand 7' below him and goes to the bait. Light Is fading quick so dad figures he better take the 1st decent shot he can before It gets to dark. Just like that dad pulls his longbow back and releases an arrow. At the time he wasn't sure where he hit it, all he heard was a loud crack and that made him real nervous! To make a long story short his arrow caught one lung and the top of the heart. The bear surprisingly went 150 yards. I so wish I was up there with him to help him drag this big guy out and high 5 him and be part of the hunt, man It sucks not being there being I'm 4.5 hours south.[:@] He thinks this bear will dress out over 300lbs! I'm sure It's a P&Y bear as well, It should easily make the books. Right now him and another guy are in the process of quartering It out. Were about an 1/8th of a mile off the road In some real thick nasty stuff. They will be packing It out on foot also, no 4 wheelers In our camp!These guys are going to be beat when there done tonight. I'm one proud son that Is for sure!! Way to go pops!!

My goal the last 5 years was to get my dad and my brother set up on a big P&Y bear!! It finally paid off, I just wish I could of been there. My brother did have his chance as well too though. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3024840

I'll post some pics when he emails me some pictures. He better get right on that, the anticipation Is going to kill me otherwise!! One more thing to add to this also. Our streak of 19 years with at least one bear being shot In our little hunting party Is now extended. I thought for a while there our run was over. The old man saved us there!!

Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My dad's bear hunt (revised)

Sounds like some great bear hunting. I too wish I were there.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's awesome, Schultzy!!! Congrats to your Dad!!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds like a great bear and a great hunt! Congrats to your dad!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's awesome! Congrats to him!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome! Great story, and sounds like a great bear as well, and with a longbow even!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your Dad Schultzy! After reading your first post about your Father bear hunting, I was pulling for him to connect on a bear. It is even cooler that he did it with a long bow! I can't wait to see pics.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to your Dad Steve . No doubt he could have used some help getting it out, I drug one out of a bunch of blow downs for a handicapped friend of mine saturday and I am still sore.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steve, congrats to your dad! That's awesome that he was able to get one and it sounds like he was a brute.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to you and your dad!!! I'm glad someone saw some bears

Quick Reply: My dad's bear hunt (revised)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.