Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting and flashlights >

Hunting and flashlights

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting and flashlights

Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting and flashlights

someone told me using a flashlight with a red or green lense is better walking into the woods with than just a regular clear lense flashlight...any truth to this? is there any difference?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting and flashlights

Supposedly the animals cannot see the red or green light as well so you have less of a chance of spooking them. I can tell you that your eyes don't have to adjust as much when you use those colored lenses.
Personally I carry a regular headlamp in my backpack, but rarely ever use a light.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually use a head lamp w/ red LEDs.

There are 2 reasons why red or green are better.

1. You're eyes dont have to adjust to the darkness going from a red or green light. Try it. You can have a red LED on and still see in your peripherals.

2. The lens filter keeps the light from traveling as far and you cut out a bunch of the light, so its not as noticeable and doesnt stand out. I doubt it has anything to do w/ if the deer can or can not see it easier.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would like to try the red or green. I carry a flashlight for 1 main reason.

I'm deathly afraid of broadheads coming AT me!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a head lamp with 3 lights. Your regular white flash light, a blue LED, and a Red. It's great. Try to find one of those so you have every kind all in one.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:18 PM

I use Red all the time.....Deer Cannot see red for the lack of the cone receptor in there Eye to see red! I do believe they can see Green....don't quote me but I'll look it up to find out!

I know they can't see red becouse....one day I walked in to my stand,got in and climbed about6 to7 feet off the ground and I heard something coming so I looked around and saw 2 red eyes reflecting back at me. They kept coming closer and soon were about 10 yards away to where I could tell it was a doe. She walked directly under my stand, all the while I had my red light on and watching her. I could have steped off my climbers platform and stepped on her back she was that close.......and didn't even lift her nose not once(Scentblocker works for me[&:]), with me being about 1 1/2 foot above her. It was one of those experiances I will never forget....and I think was just plain awesome.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

Supposedly the animals cannot see the red or green light as well so you have less of a chance of spooking them. I can tell you that your eyes don't have to adjust as much when you use those colored lenses.
Personally I carry a regular headlamp in my backpack, but rarely ever use a light.
Not true. They see the light just as well but it is less bright and more "calming" than a bright white light. Thus, the animals are more apt to let you walk through without spooking as easily.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a headlamp that has all 3. I use the green cause the white seems to shadow and show up form further away. Seen other hunters walk in with a white light more than a half mile away. As for what deer think, whats it really matter? They see everything in the dark without us having a light to give us away. Even when I walk in pitch dark, I still have heard them scream danger. Just use mine sometimes when I'm going through wooded areas to keep from stepping on sticks. Green works great shining straight down.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a light with me but I rarely use it.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I said, supposedly the animals cannot see the red or green light as well so you have less of a chance of spooking them.

Quick Reply: Hunting and flashlights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.