Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 setting up bow ?? >

setting up bow ??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

setting up bow ??

Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM

Default setting up bow ??

Hello, I bought a new Ross CR337 and i started putting some stuff on it, i got a muzzy zero effect drop away rest and an extreme rt900 sight. For some reason, when taking a couple practice shots a couple vanes flew off, almost like they are hitting the rest so hard its ripping them off. It seems as if this rest only goes up and down like a half an inch. I dont think the arrows are clearing and they are hitting the left side of the rest, that hook lookin thing. I tried a few adjustments with no luck. Also for some reason im shooting very low, have sight dropped almost all the way and it still shoot very low, not sure if i have my nocking point right, i do have a bowsquare, its just been a while. Dont know whats up with this rest, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks...Jay
Old 09-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: setting up bow ??

Two things, remember that when you put your nocking point in it must be level with your rest in the up position. second, put some of your wife's lipstick on your rest and that will tell you if your fletchings are hitting. it will leave lipstick on the fletchings. good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM

Did you buy the rest new or used? If new, watch the DVD that came with it, and do exactly what they say and you will not have any issues. If used and you don't have the dvd...it is pretty hard to explain in a post. I'll just say that you want the rest to come up to its highest point right at the end of the draw. If it is coming up sooner, you need to lower it's starting point by lengthening the turnbuckle and/or moving the rest back to the back hole.

Like said, hold the rest up and then set your nock pt level. You should also eyeball centershot while holding the rest up at its highest.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Ironworker2813

It seems as if this rest only goes up and down like a half an inch. have sight dropped almost all the way and it still shoot very low, not sure if i have my nocking point right,
It should drop more than a half inch. take it off and verify this!
If I were to guess, the rest is mounted to the bow too low, not allowing it to drop all the way, and therefore your nock point is low.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 PM

Ok I had a chance to tinker with it today. I have it shooting good but for some reason, i have fletchings flying off. WTF just paid $85 for a half dozen arrows all made up with the short quick spin vanes. Now ive got 4 arrows with missing a vane. Has anyone ever had this problem? I dont know about these muzzy rests. It dosent matter wether i put the one vane on top or bottom when i shoot. WTF is going on? Should i just sell this rest and get another one? It will take a couple shots than there one goes. please help
Old 09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Brother, i feel your pain. LOL first of all, go buy a fletching jig for $25 and fletch your own arrows. This will save you a ton of money in the long run. You say you spent $85, you could spend $25 for fletching jig and $25 for quickspins. thats 50 bucks and the jig is only a one time buy. Plus, try the lipstick thing i told you about. you will find out exactly where the problem is. good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM

I would say take it to shop and see if they can help. They charge you if you didn't buy the stuff from them but it will be worth it in long run
Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM

oh I was going to ask how do like the ROSS bow I have seen him hunt and that bow he shoots seems to be very quiet.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM

Ive had 4 bows and have never had this sort of a problem. Even if I can see where the fletching the rest, what can i really gain from it? I honestly think it isnt dropping fast enough, but how would that be possible when it is attached to the cable slide? I dont get it. The bow seems to be very fast and pack a punch. pretty quiet and smooth to. I think i will like it quite a bit once i figure out the rest problem.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Ok first man the next time you have arrows made up make sure the noob who makes the arrows uses arrow wraps and cleans the arrow with alcohol before even trying to glue...Im thinking the glue is weak. Ive been making my own arrows for years and a good quality wrap and quality vane glue will never fail and ive been shooting bow 19 years. And yes im 25 my first bow was a PSE youth long bow.

Quick Reply: setting up bow ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.