Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why have i stopped seeing deer near the roads >

why have i stopped seeing deer near the roads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why have i stopped seeing deer near the roads

Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default why have i stopped seeing deer near the roads

OK i have got all my scouting done for the year and u have stayed out of the spots i want to hunt for the normal reason. There are a few fields near my spots that are right on the roads normally there either clover or clover and sorghum. In July Aug i would see deer does bucks and fawns in most of the field in not all of them. The last month nothing but two does and a fawn on occasion.
Are they staying out of the wood due to the season getting close or is it because the clover has started to go bad. The area as minimal hunting.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: why have i stopped seeing deer near the roads

The bucks are shedding their velvet by now so they are going back to their "habits" being loners in the thickets, THey know hunting season is coming it happens every year, watch em all summer then the last few weeks till the season and they are gone.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

what about the does.
As for them staying in the thicket. thats why my stand is where it is. Right next to a creek which is right next to a thicket. with a trail running infront of my stand from the thicket around the creek to a field.
Through the wood through thicket over the creek and arcoss bigtim's shooting lane to tim's freezer we go. hopefully before the big bad wolf gets me or the deer. lol
ORIGINAL: Bowman4440

The bucks are shedding their velvet by now so they are going back to their "habits" being loners in the thickets, THey know hunting season is coming it happens every year, watch em all summer then the last few weeks till the season and they are gone.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

are there oaks in the area, chances are the acorns are dropping and the deer are in the woods feeding now, hitting the fields later at night

Old 09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

unsuree i need to find out the office at the park should know
ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

are there oaks in the area, chances are the acorns are dropping and the deer are in the woods feeding now, hitting the fields later at night

Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i did find a tree that had a pod looking thing much like a walnut tree and the leaf looks close to a walnut
ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970