Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Senario...

Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Senario...

You've got a deer directly below you, no more then 5 yards away from your stand. You are twenty feet up in the air. You're aiming pretty much straight down. What pin do you use? I've heard some people say 10 and some even say 20. What's the reasoning behind this?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Senario...

If i were to shoot.(the shot is pretty ify) I would use my 20yd but aim low. Ipractice from a tree stand in my yard and have tried the shot.....just for fun
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

the shot is pretty ify
I'd say so too. Don't know if I'd be able to pull it off. I saw Waddell do it on one of the Monster Bucks DVD's. It got me thinking.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Which one have you practiced this shot with?

If you haven't......don't shoot.

Imagine the path your arrow is going to take through that deer. Now imagine being "off" just a little. That shot needs to be perfect to take out A lung and the heart. Miss by a little....and you're compounding your dilemma. If the deer is 10yds.....OR...you're 12'.....your margin for error is greater.

If I hadn't practiced that shot.....and I didn't KNOW which pin to use.....I wouldn't shoot.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM

you know i have heard of someone shooting there foot with a downward shot. i dont think i would do it. why not wait till they move out a lil or get them while there walking in
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

If I hadn't practiced that shot.....and I didn't KNOW which pin to use.....I wouldn't shoot.
I haven't ever practiced it, and wouldn't try it without doing so first. Just trying to gain some knwoledge for a shot like that, so that I might try it at home. Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

you know i have heard of someone shooting there foot with a downward shot. i dont think i would do it. why not wait till they move out a lil or get them while there walking in
That's another good point. The more I read about this the less I even want to attempt it! I think I'll stayaway from this shot for a while.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think of it this way. If you have a deer under you, it almost has to give you a quartering away 20 yard shot at some point. Unless he or she beds under you, you will most likely get the shot that you are really looking for.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont quote me...but directly under the stand i think you want to use a long range pin like a 40 or so yard pin....

i havent practiced the shot, and wouldnt take it. like ben said, sooner or later its going to give you a quartering away or broadside shot as it leaves the setup....if you have lanes or not thats hunting...i just dont like the idea of only 1 lung...or possibly hitting the backbone and ribs and shoulders and never penetrating through to the vitals period....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

This was from 23' up and at 8yds. I'm happy with the result.....but you HAVE to be confident in shot placement, because your margin for error (what I eluded to today....before I shot this doe) is slim.

Entrance--

Exit --

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.