Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting does with fawns? >

Shooting does with fawns?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting does with fawns?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but I'd shoot a fawn. If I wanted meat for the freezer. In Wisc. we can get unlimited antlerless tags for $3 each. I would not shoot the doe, I'm in northern Wisc. and get heavy snow. I think the fawns need the doe to show them how to survive a winter. But more importantly I too have a soft spot for fawn looking for its dead mom.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once passed on shooting a fawn in Wi. Needed an Earn a buck tag. The next day a giant 10 point walked by. I didn't have my buck tag. Would I shoot the fawn next time? In a heartbeat! Great table fare too. And you can buy unlimited antlerless tags.
BTW, Jeff is absolutely right. We need to get the terminology right to know what the other guy is talking about. A Fawn, is not a yearling!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

BTW, Jeff is absolutely right. We need to get the terminology right to know what the other guy is talking about. A Fawn, is not a yearling!
I don't disagree that we need to know what the other guy is talking about, and I really don't care, but having said that and based on thedefinition given, why do refer to bucks the next year as as a 1.5yo instead of a yearling. If he is not a yearling until January 1 does he not stay that way until Dec 31 of the next year?

[align=right][/align][align=right][/align][align=right][/align]
Old 09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Dominant Buck

why do refer to bucks the next year as as a 1.5yo instead of a yearling.
Both would be correct. I hear "yearling buck" in some circles. We also hear "buck fawn"/"Button buck"/Nubbin buck" and they're all technically correct, as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd drop Mama, and some of the fawns too if possible, we have way too many does here.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

If momma is dropping triplets I would let her walk. I might however take one of the yearling. They eat real good and I don't have the Bambi syndrome. That being said I have watched late born fawns with spots and did not even lift the bow so I guess I do have some emotion.

Not sure there is much difference between milk fed veal and milk fed deer.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 AM

Yeah i would let her walk. It's the right thing to do.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on what part of the country or even state your in. States that have mild or no winter they will be fine, Up here in snow country during a harsh winter where you get a crust of ice on the snow it is a sure death for them without their mothers if their not adopted by other deer, I dont care what the DNR says.
Some places need thinning, some dont! Only the ones hunting that area has a general idea of what needs to be done if they have done their homework.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

The bottom line here, guys....is respect.

I TOTALLY respect you guys' opinions on NOT taking fawns. I mean that, sincerely. I/We only ask for the same, in return. I don't "target" doe fawns.....and certainly don't target buck fawns. But our herd pops DO necessitate the taking of does.......of all age structures.

When given the choice (as witnessed by my first week's hunting).....I'll take an older doe. I've passed on three doe fawns, already.....but I wouldn't expect to be chastised if I'd made another choice. If they didn't NEED taking....I wouldn't consider it. We NEED to take does, here. They are plentiful.....and the little ones are eating every day they walk.

Unabridged respect for your choices. I even admire your stance....and would surely employ your outlook if I hunted in a different environment.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Whack Em' and Stack Em'!

Quick Reply: Shooting does with fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.