Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting does with fawns? >

Shooting does with fawns?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting does with fawns?

Old 09-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting does with fawns?

I will "Whack" the doe if it benefits the herd and my management goals, the fawns will be fine. I have seen the fawns first hand make it to the next year.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 AM

I think if you take the doe, which I have no problem with, you are giving the fawns an early lesson to fear humans. The reason I say this is because when you go to track her the fawns will still be there with her.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generally, it's customary hunting ethics not to kill female animals that are still with suckling or dependent young. In this case involving fawns with spots, more than likely they are too young to fend for themselves.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I say this is because when you go to track her the fawns will still be there with her.
Though I won't say this has never happened.....it's never happened with me. I kill my fair share of does.....and tracked one Friday...with no fawns in sight.

Again.....biologically.....there's NO reason NOT to take does with fawns. It's a moral dilemma (for some).
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM

I have no problem taking a doe with fawns. There is no biological reason to pass as GMMAT stated. If she has triplets, she definitely WILL NOT get a pass from as my huntingarea is way overpopulated. If you are worriedthe fawnwon't survive without mom for some reason, another doe from the same family will usually "adopt" it.

Like Shultzy mentioned, this gets beat to death. I'm not sure why when a couple minutes of searchingwill provide you withscientific material on this subject.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

if there old enough to feed on there own i would. does anyone know for sure when that is
Old 09-22-2008, 12:25 PM

I could not do it either. You did the right thing and I am like you, have no problem taking a mature doe but not with the little ones in tow.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

if there old enough to feed on there own i would. does anyone know for sure when that is
Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

so aslong as there not born after say mid july your good there are two does i see with the same fawn some time there one or both of the doe with the fawn odd thing i have seen both does alone with the same fawn. i have seen the fawn since early to mid june.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Fawns here in North Carolina are generally born in May and June, and they are no longer dependent on nursing with the doe when they are about 10 weeks old.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Tim:

If you can distinguish particular fawns with different does......you're in a league of your own.

Just because we don't see a fawn with a doe.....doesn't mean she doesn't have one (or more). Just because we see a fawn......it doesn't mean it's been orphaned. Mama's will stay back and so will fawns (from time to time).

If you have a moral dilemma with the taking of fawns OR does with fawns......then there's nothing wrong with that. there's also nothing wrong with the taking of either.

Quick Reply: Shooting does with fawns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.