Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tying off your harness? >

Tying off your harness?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tying off your harness?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tying off your harness?

Yesterday I came across a problem. I was up in the stand and tied my harness off to the strap that goes around the tree. I have it about standing head height. I sat for a couple hours and got up to stretch and deer were starting to come out in the fields when I decided to play out my shots. Everything to the front and left of me would work. When I turned to the right my harness strap was so tight that I couldn't execute a draw back. After frantically trying to adjust the tree strap, I came up with the question: Where the heck do you fasten the tree strap to give yourself all the shots you need without the harness getting in the way?? Head, waist or seat height?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tying off your harness?

I always wanted to tie off head high to minimize the shock incase of a fall, but with the tieoff point so high it eliminates 60% of your shooting range. So I have moved mine down to around waist high so that the tie off is below my arms when I have a bow drawn. That gives you almost 100% of your shooting range again. Of coarse if you fall your going to drop a few feet before it catches you.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I connect mine above head height; it gives me JUST enough slack to sit down on my seat and not tug at me. That way, when I'm standing it's as much out of the way as possible.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine right now is above head height. I can sit comfortably and barely touch my toes whenI bend over but when I go to shoot to my right or behind, I have to use the front edge of my stand. So when I draw, the strap is tight and my elbow hits it and I can't draw. Just going over everything here in my mind, I still can't figure what would be the best. It almost seems as if I need a longer strap on my harness?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

i do like Greg...i tie off about as high as i can reach...sitting in my seat, its about tight. when i stand, theres not a ton of slack...i do the same thing once in a while and stand and draw in different directions...stretch, keep the muscles warm...check the peep and silly stuff like that that may go wrong, mentally prep myself etc....havent found any area where my harness or tie off would get in the way
Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 AM
Dominant Buck

What's happening? Is the strap getting in the way of your drawing elbow? I do one of a couple things. I like to have the strap above my head. I also have the prusics rope which allows me to just slide the knot down giving me lots more slack momentarily if I need the extra room. If you can't clear the rope sometimes you can duck your head under it and have it going over your head. It's hard to explain. You'll just have to work with different things and see what's best. You'll never end up with unlimited freedom but it's all doable.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put mine up as high as i can reach as well. I use a Gorilla full body harness with an extra teather strapon the original tie off so I can use my quick connect.I can sit comfortably with a tad bit of slackso its not pulling onme, when I standIcandraw in all directions/positions.