Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've often wondered >

I've often wondered

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've often wondered

Old 09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've often wondered

I hunted at random my first few years, with little success.If I found a big rub, ascrape line or trail, I was on it.I would see alot of deer, does and small bucks but nothing real big, I always seemed to be a day late and a doller short. When I put the doe family groupsand how they moved around in the picture, then not hunt the buck sign but ask my self why it was there. Things started to get much better, and I started to see much biggerbucks.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM

I am admittedly, the random setup guy. I have learned the patterns of most farms I hunt by now that I know where to setup anyway, but I started out just finding a scrape, rub, crossing, trail and hanging/hoping.

Nowadays, I dont even set foot on a property without checking the aerials first. Im not even that good at reading them, but at the least, they give you a basic understanding of how the farm lays before you tromp off into it.

I really wish I had large enough tracts of land that I could study topos and find the right terrain to hunt, most of my farms dont vary in terrain, and are relatively small....this leaves just patterning the deer as the only method really.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

TEmbry, I'll try to go a little more in depth on what I do, bear with me I'm not good at puting things into words.

I find where the different doe groups are bedding and feeding and how they travle to and from these locations. I make a note of which food sources will be primary at different times of the season. I've found these primary sources to mainly be used by does and young bucks.

Then I find the secondary and isolated food sources. I make a note of when these sources will be available. I've found these to mainly be used by mature bucks.

My dad showed me a trick to finding food sources I would like to share. If you are walking agood trail and it fades away, you arevery close to the food sources or an area the deer like to brows. Look around and find what there eating.

I make note of the creeks, springs and water holes. I also make a note of transitions through out the woods, old growth, new growth, pine thickits, logged areas and clear cuts.

I find the rub lines and scrapes, paying special attention to the ones that show up in the same spots year after year, that happens for a resone. Then I compair my findings to the lay of the land. Things become clear and make alot of sense.

I know this sounds complicated but its not. With a little practice its easy. I take my maps to the woods and do gride aserch for sheds and sign late winter. I do 20 acres at a time and this stuff jumps out at me. I can do 200 to 300 acres in a couple days, and know it better than pepole that have hunted it for 20 years.

Hope I helped some one, THANKS for reading.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

The areas that I hunt, I've hunted for years and know where the deer travel. I hunt oak flats find a good looking tree and wait. Since I'm not a trophy hunter I'm not worried about what decides to eat on the flat that I'm hunting I jusy whack what comes through.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great topic, Grizz. I keep a binder in my trunk - at all times - with color copies of aerials of each of my hunting areas - both old and new. I've got turkey maps, shed hunting maps, deer stand maps, gun season maps, maps of places I've never been, and maps of places I haven't been in 15 years.

Those maps include companion topos, field notes, chickenscratch arrows, lines and circles... It's a process, to be sure.

My maps show property boundaries, oak groves, thickets, past stand sites of mine, and past stand sites of OTHER hunters. Sometimes, you start connecting the dots and things become a lot more clear. It's definitely a "big picture" endeavor.

However, despite the detail and observation needed, you CAN scout an area relatively fast, if you know what you're looking for. This is a LOT easier once the leaves are coming off, the weeds are down, andthe acorns are falling. With the extra visibility, it makes the geographic funnels stand out. You can hear the acorns and go to them. You play off of the pressure points, the crop rotation, the safe travel routes - and strike. Strike unexpectedly and infrequently.

Always remember that you're hunting an animal that survives by avoiding humans. The more pressure he gets, his skills are honed all-the-sharper.

Duke is right - know thy neighbour. Deer can't read POSTED signs or Plat Maps. They live everywhere. If you have the opportunity, get out and walk your neighbor's land in the spring, or in the snow, when it reads like an open book. Even if you're not allowed to hunt there, walk it and understand it. Knowledge of the surrounding properties WILL fill your tag, sooner or later.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM

i myself hunt spots that i noted the previous year and have looked over and views signs and sighting. i trail camera or timer are awsome tools.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

I usually pull my skull cap over my eyes, spin real fast 3 times around and hunt the first tree I bump into. It's worked pretty well for me over the years! [:-]
Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take the sign that's giving to me and pretty much go by pure instincts on where I think a particular buck or bucks will be traveling.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 PM

i once shot my arrow in the air in my wood and huntedx the nearest tree it was by...well i never found the arrow