Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm devistated

Old 09-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default I'm devistated

I went out this AM, to the spot that my brother killed on 9/17. Well got in the shed, instead of the stand, becauase it was supposed to rain. Well I see my first deer at about 6:40, 2 does that were plenty close enough, just no shot. An hour and 8 deer later, I have some coming down the trail straight towards me. A doe and a fawn without spots. Well after about 3 minutes of them feeding on walnuts, I get a great opportunity to draw, so I do, and settle the top pin on the doe. She was standing behind a tree, browsing, at about 17 yards. I waited for about 40 seconds at full draw, until I had to let down. After she gets done browsing, she turns broadside and steps into the opening so I draw again, and stop her. I settle the top pin right behind the shoulder, and squeezed the trigger. The shot felt, and looked great, at first. I watched it hit her right behind the shoulder, and heard it. When she turned and ran though, I didn't get very much penetration for it being what looked to be a very well placed shot. So I call my dad up, he drives out. We found the arrow right away, with the broadhead broken off, and it looked like at the most I only got about 3-5 inches of penetration. We couldn't find a SINGLE drop of blood, besides on the arrow. We looked, and looked, and looked. Searched everywhere for blood, but still, nothing.
My eyes have been watering ever since we left, and I keep playing the shot through my head, over and over, and over.
What pisses me off the most, is that I practiced ALL year, worked on my form, shot just about every day, and this happens. I feel like I did everything right. I'm gonna go back out this evening and look for her, but I'm hoping to God that it wasn't a lethal hit. Part of me is telling me I can't shoot another one this season, the other part is telling me to go and redeem myself.
I'm also getting new broadheads tonight, the Shuttle T Locks.
Thanks for listening guys, if you want me to post pictures of the broken off arrow, compared to an unused arrow I have, I will.

Thanks again,
Rory
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm devistated

keep your head up
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that Rory. High In the shoulder you thinking?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Sorry to hear that Rory. High In the shoulder you thinking?
It looked to be like the dead center of the lungs, height wise. But a little far forward, if anything.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did you hear a big crack sound when your arrow hit It? What did It sound like when your arrow hit?

Are you switching up BH's thinking you got robbed on penetration? I'm not making no BH debate here, just asking a question bud.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Did you hear a big crack sound when your arrow hit It? What did It sound like when your arrow hit?

Are you switching up BH's thinking you got robbed on penetration? I'm not making no BH debate here, just asking a question bud.
Not really a crack, more of a smack.
And yes, that is the main reason I am.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lets see a pic of your arrow Rory.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Keep at it Rory. Unfortunately things like this happen. Don't let it get you down.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

How far away was it and what is your draw wieght? Also keep in mind that it could be bleeding internally and it would take some time before any blood may show up. I would not give up on her yet.
If you still do not find any blood, look for a deer walking with it's toes spread on at least one foot.
A wounded deer will walk that way to try and balance itself. An old timer up here taught me that and
it has helped me out alot.. Once you start following it again watch for any amout of deer hair on thebushes as well. No matter how small amout it may appear to you it would more than likely be
left there from the deer you are looking for. Good luck on your search for it.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Getting pictures on the computer now.
And Phil, she was standing at about 17 yards, and I shoot 63#

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.